Question

Rules engine won't create multiple CTAs

• 9 November 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge
I built a rule to mass create two CTA's for about 209 accounts, so about 418 CTA's should be created in total:

CTA 1 Subject = MR Q4 2016 Opportunity Assessment

Type = Opportunity

Medium Priority

ReasMaintenance Renewal

CTA 2 Subject = MR 2017 Opportunity Assessment

Type = Opportunity

Medium Priority

ReasMaintenance Renewal

However, only CTA 1 is being created. I believe the rules engine feels these are duplicate CTA's, but they are not. Also, if an Opportunity type CTA the same reason already exists then no CTA will be created.  Has anyone experienced this or know of a solution so that i can mass create the 2 CTA's for all my CSMs without the rules engine believing they are duplicates??

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
If I'm not mistaken, I believe you'll need to use the Name field and the "Include in Identifiers" check box in the Setup Action screen.

Badge +3
I think you are right that RE sees these as duplicates.  To make them distinct you need to include Name as an identifier.  This is optional.  In the Create CTA action in RE try checking the box next to the Name field. (BTW, this FAQ may be helpful.)
 Hey John!

Logan here from the support team! I think I can help clear a few things up here. 

When creating CTAs using the rules engine, Gainsight will always check if there exists a CTA with the same CTA "Type AND Reason" combination as the one about to be created! If there is, it will simply update the already-existing CTA with the new information so as to prevent duplicates from flooding your CSM.

But fear not, we have a tool that can help differentiate the two CTAs that you're trying to make!

In the "Setup Action" of the rule that creates these CTAs, right next to where you've defined the Name for your CTA, you should see a box that says "Include in Identifiers". Click it!

What that box does is make Gainsight only update an existing CTA only if it can match the "Type, Reason, AND CTA Name". 

Since the two CTAs that you are attempting to create have the same Type and Reason, adding the name as another identifier would allow Gainsight to view them individually and allow both to be created.

Hope this helps! As always, let us know if there's anything else we can do to help!

Take care,

Logan Thome
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Hey John!

Are you using the Call to Action name as an identifier in the action set up? That would be needed here. As a rule a new CTA will not be created if there is already one with a new status and the same type and reason. Unless the name is being used as an identifier of course.

Most likely what is happening is when the rule gets to the second CTA it sees the CTA it just created and because it has the same type and reason it doesn't make a new one.

Edit: Wow, I was not quick enough!
Badge +3
Oh! Jeff beat me to it! 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Thanks for posting, Johnny. You could try including the CTA Name/Subject as an identifier in both actions. The engine is most likely not creating the 2nd CTA because there is already an open CTA for that Account, with the same Type and Reason.

Hope this helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I did what Jeff (and others) suggested, and that seemed to work for me. Since your subjects are slightly different, I think it should work for your case too.
Badge
Thanks guys, "Include in Identifiers" worked! I really appreciate all the help!

#GoGainsightGo

Question: I don't think this is possible yet within "Mass Edit", but does anybody know how to mass edit the comments section for CTAs?