Question

Custome date field

• 2 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I am trying to create a calculated field that will take today’s date and then calculate the difference between that and the renewal date (in the future) that is held against the opportunity in SFDC (is already pulled into GS).

i.e. if the renewal date was  02/08/2023, it would calculate that this is 31 days in the future and populate the field with “31”. 

Has anyone set this, or something similar, up before?

I will be putting this against the “Overview” section of a Success Plan.

Cheers!

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

You can create a calculated field in Data Management on the Company Object. Choose a number field and then you use a Date Diff formula with today as the start date.

Userlevel 5
Badge

You cna do the same thing in report builder too if you are not needing the field everywhere. 

Badge +1

Since you’re going to be doing this in the overview section of the success plan, I recommend adding the calculated field to the object that houses your renewal date, like john_apple suggested. 

I just added calculated fields like this last week to show a “count down” and it worked perfectly! Then you don’t have to worry about re-creating the field again since it will exist directly in the object

Userlevel 5
Badge

Since you’re going to be doing this in the overview section of the success plan, I recommend adding the calculated field to the object that houses your renewal date, like john_apple suggested. 

I just added calculated fields like this last week to show a “count down” and it worked perfectly! Then you don’t have to worry about re-creating the field again since it will exist directly in the object

It honestly depends on your requirements.

If you are needing it just to display on one or a few reports, then do it in the report builder not on the object.

You do it on the object if you are needing it multiple places; reports, rules, DD’s, etc.

And yes, it does hurt to add another field onto objects if not needed. Maybe not a low amount when an environment is new. But when the environment has been around for years more and more fields are just added willy nilly and it degrades performance. And, there are some objects that have limitations on the number of fields you can add.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

It honestly depends on your requirements.

If you are needing it just to display on one or a few reports, then do it in the report builder not on the object.

You do it on the object if you are needing it multiple places; reports, rules, DD’s, etc.

And yes, it does hurt to add another field onto objects if not needed. Maybe not a low amount when an environment is new. But when the environment has been around for years more and more fields are just added willy nilly and it degrades performance. And, there are some objects that have limitations on the number of fields you can add.

At which point you may want a ‘company attributes’ object with a Company lookup to store more custom “doesn’t have to be ON the company object directly but needs to be widely utilized and accessible from Company” fields.