• In platform and/or via email 
  • Short surveys
    • Rating scales
    • Open text box for comments
    • Maybe 1-2 other questions, usually
      • Which areas drove their score
      • Which areas most need to be improved
  • Follow up with Detractors 

Is there anything innovative or best practice beyond the core approach that you do or have seen done? 
(Caveat: We’re only a CC customer so far, not PX or CS, so looking for programatic tactics, not Gainsight-specific features. Though any helpful GS features could help us map a path to those other solutions)

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

A few thoughts I’d add, @DannyPancratz !

• It’s common to start with surveys that have a calendar schedule (e.g., all customers get a survey on the 2nd Monday of the quarter), but the more sophisticated approach is a “rolling” survey, where the cadence is anchored on the customer’s original contract date. That way, you have some NPS responses rolling in every month, which both gives you a constant finger on the pulse of customers, and prevents giant surges of work for your various teams to close the loop on massive batches of responses.
  • Follow-ups can also occur with Promoters to invite them into advocacy activities, like writing a review on G2.
  • Regardless of what tool you use to administer the survey, get those responses posted into Slack. For a reason that's not worth explaining, I ended up trolling through the early days of our own NPS-response Slack channel, and it was extremely interesting to see the evolution of how the business got involved over the course of months:
    • It started with a few reactji on promoters (🔥, etc.).
    • Then some enthusiastic comments came in from managers, giving a high five to the CSM when a good response came from a customer who’d been struggling.
    • Then you start to see more senior leaders get added to the channel, wanting to keep tabs on this flow of customer intel.
    • Then some of those leaders start tagging Product leaders about customer comments that relate directly to an active Product initiative.
    • Then whole threads start spinning up to triage problem-situations or important input.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Thanks, @seth

These are some great new insights and you also helped validate some things we were already doing/thinking of doing.