Allow Changing of Display Name for Standard/System Fields

Related products: None

Please can we have the option to rename fields that are system/standard ones, not the API name as I appreciate they will be needed for system operations, but the display name used.

Again I know we can rename in certain places like Reports and 360 but when there are multiple admins, and particularly new ones come on board, it’s very confusing when there a is mismatch of naming convention between the business and the platform. 

E.g. in Renewal centre there is a field called Target Amount, and it’s integral to how the product works, but we would prefer to rename it to Scheduled Renewal ARR as that’s how we talk about it across the business. 

And even so far as CSM, at my last place we had CSC’s and CCSM’s and it was confusing to anyone that came in to the environment which was actually being passed in to the CSM field. 

Plus sometimes you can’t rename it and it’s end-user facing, like filters across CTA, Timeline etc. 

+1. This seems like a very basic ask. Honestly it’s a step backwards because in SFDC edition we could rename standard fields on the customer info object (i.e. changing “ASV” to “ARR” or changing the name of the “CSM” lookup field). We should be able to do the same in MDA standard objects.

Also I posted something similar a while back and got a “not planned” label stuck on it 

May I add that while we’re at it, we should also be able to populate a description on these fields, especially if they are going to have a display name that’s different to their db name. For now we’re documenting our data schema within Gainsight data management itself and it would be super handy for all fields to be able to have a description/reminder of what they’re about.

We have been through a lot of org change in the past year. Right now, the system “CSM” field is actually referring to our AM role. And we’re introducing a new CSM role through a custom field.

It’ll be super confusing to not be able to re-label the CSM field to AM, while also putting in place a custom CSM field. Especially for those we have enabled self-serve analytics with.

This is a legitimate ask. For example, Company object contains 23 Standard fields. I’ve worked on the GS platform at 4 different companies and in not one of them did we use or have need for Ticker Symbol, Lifecycle in weeks, MRR, Customer Lifetime in Months, Employees to name a few. Additionally, there are TWO Industry fields.

These are wasted fields, sitting there empty (and probably occupying a decent chunk of the 200 “recommended” field limit) if they cannot be renamed by an admin.

The Original Contract Date field may seem like a standard thing to track, but here the corresponding field on the Account object in SF is “Client Since” - to keep from causing confusion, I have to manually relabel this on C360 and every report it gets pulled into.  I finally got annoyed enough to open a ticket requesting to have it changed on the backend.  Ops granted that request - for one field label change - 12 days later.

This does not seem unreasonable. and as @spencer_engel noted on this matching post “This is a big Admin Quality of Life thing”

@anirbandutta may you please bring this to the attention of the appropriate PM? Thank you kindly!

Big ➕1 from me!

This is also big in our org for our DX team, as while I’m not quite CS Ops, I virtually live in JO. Having to keep track of different field names for queries causes almost never-ending headaches sometimes.

Thanks @darkknight - Trying to get an update on this one.

No StatusAcknowledged

Idea’s acknowledged but unfortunately this is not prioritised for the near term roadmap.