Question

Report Filter - Add Optional Filter to Dashboard Report

• 25 January 2017
  • 9 replies

Badge
Hi - 

Is it possible to add a filter to a dashboard report with including a filter value? 

Use Case: I have a dashboard that shows global data. I would like senior leadership to see the global perspective, but be able to apply a filter to show just their regions data or to filter down to a specific manager's team or, even CSM. 

Is that possible without creating multiple dashboards?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Elizabeth. Your use case is pretty common. :)

This is handled with Dashboard Level Filters - check out this support article on the subject: https://support.gainsight.com/Product_Documentation/Reports_and_Dashboards/Admin_Configuration/Confi...

About 1/2 way down the page Dashboard filters are introduced and explained.

Hope this helps.
Badge
Thanks, Dan. This is helpful. A couple of follow-up questions:

1) One of the challenges I have is that I'm already summarizing and manipulating the data with the By: field and adding the Field in the To: is also problematic. How do I include the field in the reports so that it is available at the dashboard level?

2) I have a couple of dashboards with varying information and the same field/filter isn't applicable across the board. Is it possible to expose a field as a filter at the individual report level on a dashboard?

3) Another challenge is that we sometimes pull related data from different sources into a Dashboard so they're visible in a one-stop-shop. That means the field that contains the data we want to filter by may not be called the exact same thing or function in quite the same way.

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hi Elizabeth,

You just need to add as an unlocked filter what you added to the 'by' section.

I understand the issue of not having the exact same field in all data sources, in which case, report level filters are the only option. You can set unlocked filters per report that users can manipulate. Also, once the Feb release is out, users would be able to apply their own filters on top of what you expose intentionally.

Thanks!
Badge
Thanks, Manu. I can't seem to find any information on unlocking a filter. How do I do that?

I don't want to add anything to the By: because that alters the summarization of my reports and I'm not able to present them in the way I need to.

Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
There should be a lock icon on each filter that you can click to unlock/lock.
Badge
Where? In the Dashboard Builder? In the Report Builder?

If in the Report Builder, where would I add the filter? Would I add it in the Filter section with OR statements so all values are included in the original display?

Apologies for all of the questions - just trying to cover the different variables . . .

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
No problem at all! Yes, add in the Report Builder filter section. Once you do, you should see the lock icon show up like so:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Elizabeth - one of the easiest ways to ensure that the filters are available for all reports that you add to a dashboard is to use fields that exist on the account or customer object in your filter - as regardless of the object the report is built on, the fields for account and customer will always be available. 

As far as locking of filters, this link has more info - it can be done at a dashboard or individual report level.

https://support.gainsight.com/Product_Documentation/Reports_and_Dashboards/Admin_Configuration/Confi...

See section: Add Global Locked/Unlocked Dashboard Filters

Here's how the icon appears in report builder:

and in dashboard editor:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Also - another great resource Elizabeth is our self paced, online training program Admin 101. It's free and you can jump right to the course material that you need additional help with. Of course we recommend that you complete the entire training to be a well rounded admin, but module 8 seems to be just what the doctor ordered. :)

https://customersuccessuniversity.gainsight.com/course/admin-101