Question

Use cases for a Dashboard filter always applying to all reports on the Dashboard

• 7 April 2017
  • 6 replies

Hi,

We are revamping how the Global Dashboard Filters work in the product. In the new paradigm

the same global filter can be applied to  

1) Reports that are build on different objects (Usage Data, Cases Data etc)  and

2) On any attribute on the objects, as long as its datatype matches the filter's requirement (a date filter would apply only to attributes of type Date ).

While designing this solution, one point we want input from the filed is 

Does (or Should) the global filter always apply to ALL the reports on the dashboard ?

Or

Are there any use cases for Global filter to apply only to some of the reports present on the Dashboard ?

The current thinking is to give the flexibility to the Admin to select the reports on the dashboard he/she wants a global filter to apply to. But we are looking for concrete use cases where this is needed.

If the global filter is applied to all the reports on the Dasboard all the time, that will simply the filter creation experience by one-step easily.

Please keep your use cases coming in for either scenarios.

6 replies

For our use case, we would need the ability to have the global filter apply to all reports on the dashboard; the reports built on multiple objects. The current limitation is forcing us create multiple dashboards, which creates a bad user experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I'm in favor of flexibility - a good example might be a dashboard that shows targeted quarterly metrics and you might have a mix of reports that are individual user metrics and other reports that are team metrics - but the whole dashboard would be around metrics, without having to open separate dashboards to see a team KPI and an individual KPI.

I'd also like to see the ability to add global filters for reports built on both SFDC and MDA data that are in the same dashboard.
Badge +1
I agree that the flexibility would be ideal. The example from Dan is how we would apply the filters to only selected reports. 
Badge
I agree with the above comments in favor of the flexibility.
By default the global filter should apply to all reports on the dashboard (and therefore be able to also reset the filters on all reports on a dashboard). I have received this request multiple times! This would be great.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I like the simplicity of a Dashboard filter applying to all reports on a Dashboard. There are some corner cases where I might not want that, but I tend to favor a simpler solution over a complex one. I would suggest that if the more complex route is chosen, that there be a clear visual indicator to the end user that somehow differentiates Reports with a Dashboard filter applied vs. Reports that are not utilizing the Dashboard filter.