Admin Spotlight with Matthew Lind

• 14 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

In this Spotlight 🔦 article we are fortunate to host Matthew Lind who has worked in CS Ops managing Gainsight for organizations including IBM, Splunk, and Auctane.  Matthew Lind (matthew_lind) is also the lead author for the Customer Success Operations learning path on Gainsight’s Pulse+ platform.

We asked Matthew to share some wisdom from his vast experience with the community and he responded very enthusiastically with some deep, insightful responses.  Take a moment to check out Part 1 below and stay tuned for Part 2 coming soon!

Thank you Matthew and cheers to you and the rest of our community of admins! 🥂

What's your story of how you became a Gainsight Admin? If you had to do it all over again, is there anything you'd do differently?

I deployed Gainsight for the first time in 2015 (gasp!). This was a world in which Journey Orchestrator, Timeline and Data Designer didn't exist, and you had to install Gainsight as a SFDC managed package. At the time, I did a lot of cross-functional work, so I had healthy relationships with the Salesforce team, the Support team, the Product team, and could pull together all those data points for our Customer Success team, planting them inside Gainsight.

Happily, I wouldn't do a lot differently. However, believing there is always something we can improve, there are two things I practice now that I was not practicing heavily then:

1. Being transparent. When we come asking for product telemetry or a lot of Salesforce data, we have a responsibility to credibly share what we're going to do with that data. Most folks are very willing to share when they understand your goals and outcomes. Don't try to sneak data or processes into CS Ops in a dark or suspicious way; just be authentic and transparent with what you're about.
  2. Linking to business outcomes. Inside a platform like Gainsight, it's easy to get lost in the configuration, the sync, the rule that just won't run. Lift up your head and remember WHY you're doing this, and what business outcomes you're pointed towards. That will give you perspective to keep going, and also will help you navigate into great solutions when you feel blocked.

What is the best piece of advice you've either heard or shared around this role?

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should." Spend any time around me, and you'll hear me say this...on repeat! Gainsight is a powerful tool, and you *can* build a lot of complex workflows within, but that doesn't automatically mean you *should* build those complex workflows.

Two things to think about before you build anything, and especially before you build something complex:
  1. What end problem are you solving for, and what business outcome does this align to? If those questions have vague answers, consider pausing and asking for clarity. We never build Gainsight functionality for the sake of having more Gainsight functionality. We build so that we can more easily identify advocates, or so we that we can spot growth opportunities more readily, or so that we can document and analyze risk more thoroughly. Keep talking to your stakeholders until you understand that business outcome they seek, then use your expertise to build the most ideal solution to take you there. This practice has an amazing by-product of elevating you past a transactional order-taker, and into a thought leader and brainstorming partner.
  2. How durable is this workflow? How much effort will go into building it, and also maintaining it, as your organization continues to change? You might build an amazing workflow, but if that workflow is "brittle"--that is, it can't be amended easily when you experience a re-segmentation or a new product line or a re-assignment of CSMs--then consider what other ways you might get to a solution.
Like any skill, getting better at answering these questions takes time. Keep asking them of yourself, and of your community, and you'll gradually get a feel for what's the solution you can build, and what's the solution you should build.

As the creator of the CS Ops training on the Gainsight Pulse+ platform, what motivated you to develop that content? Anything else you might want to share to expand on this?

In CS Ops, we often are "one-person bands", trying to juggle a lot of responsibility, and often doing so without a lot of neighboring folks who have done this before. Thus, I wanted to bring some frameworks to my friends who are starting out in CS Ops, or who might have been given CS Ops responsibilities "as a side project", and truly help them elevate their craft. Every company approaches CS Ops somewhat uniquely, and I wanted to identify the through-lines which could accelerate any CS Ops practitioner toward success. With the basics in hand, that practitioner can then add the unique details that make them an expert and an asset for their customer-facing organization.

Essentially, our goal with the CS Ops course was to give CS Ops practitioners concepts to present to their neighboring CS and Ops teams. We should not just be order-takers or have exclusively transaction-oriented relationships; we should come with good ideas, and the course includes a whole bunch of concepts a CS Ops person can initiate discussions with.

I hypothesize that CS Ops, as a discipline, is about 5 years newer than Customer Success. If Customer Success itself is still early in its maturity, then CS Ops is that much newer. I'm hoping to see some really smart folks continue to construct the frameworks, the vocabulary and the best practices to make CS Ops the accelerant that a Customer Success team simply cannot be without. We are the path to scale, and to growth, and to satisfied customers. CS Ops is not a "nice to have"; CS Ops is the way to scale the existing investment a company has already made in CS.

I think that’s an excellent way to end Part 1 of this Admin Spotlight!  Keep watch for the next part of this Spotlight series where we learn more from our friend Matthew! 

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@matthew_lind  - this is a really great read about all that you have done and what you continue to do! I became inspired by what you bring to CS Ops when I attended Pulse, so thank you for that!  I can’t wait to read more! - Brandy Lemire

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@matthew_lind So insightful as always!  I’m also apt to throw in the question when tackling something - is this a process problem or a people problem?  This often makes my stakeholders consider if it’s something we need to tackle from an accountability perspective or does it need a true process revamp.  Definitely helped me 1. prioritize the work I’m doing and 2. focus the conversation around where I can help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That is some next level thinking, @heather_hansen. No need to reconstruct an entire process just because someone didn’t comply or understand.

@blemire0112, you’re awesome, and I am always happy to see you at Pulse too. Thank you for what YOU bring to the CS Ops community.

And @lisa.mirth, thanks for an amazing spot to talk through some questions, and for your work connecting we GS Admins and CS Ops geeks together!

#bettertogether

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Part 2 -