Question

What's the best way to sync fields from the opportunity object in sfdc to the customer info object?

• 17 February 2016
  • 4 replies

What's the best way to sync fields from the opportunity object in sfdc to the customer info object in gainsight so we can report on these fields, use them in rules, etc. We're new to gainsight and struggling with this seemingly basic task. I'm trying to pull in things like customer segment, go live date, renewal date, etc. which all live on the opportunity object. What are the key differences between pulling in fields from the account object VS the opportunity object? 

4 replies

Hi Evan!  The Gainsight Rules Engine needs to have the source object be an object with a direct relationship (either Lookup or Master-Detail) to the Account object.  This means that if you choose the Account object as your source, you will only see Account and Gainsight Customer Info fields for options in the Setup Rule stage.

If you choose Opportunity as your source, you will see all Opportunity fields, all Account fields and all Customer Info fields (Opportunity has a direct relationship to Account and Account relates to Customer Info).  This approach gives you the ability to pull in both Opportunity and Account fields in your rule.

If you know you need Opportunity fields, I'd start with that as your base object as you will get the other Account fields you need visible in the list on the left hand side of the screen.  Let me know if you have any additional questions!
Thanks, Scott!

Can you tell me what I need to do to make these opportunity fields available in places like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3z59ww7lh4xvb4i/Screenshot%202016-02-16%2018.03.25.png?dl=0 ? I want to filter on one of the fields (customer segment) which lives on the opportunity field. In this specific case, I only want to generate a CTA for our 'Enterprise' (a value of the customer segment field) accounts.  But this field is not selectable in the dropdown shown in the screenshot. 

Cheers!
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hi Evan,

The Opportunity object is not exposed in the advanced logic options in our Survey module. What you can do here is build a rule on the Opportunity object to pull all the information you need, and then write it to our Customer Info object (using the Load to Customers action). Once written, this data will be available to you in the drop-down. Two things to keep in mind here:

1. You'll have to create new fields in the Customer Info object to store the data you want to pull from Opportunities. You can do this from Salesforce settings area.
  2. One Account can have multiple Opportunities, so you'll have to ensure you are picking the right values in the rule. You can do this either by applying filters to reduce results down to one Opportunity record per Account, or by applying an aggregation (min, max, etc.).
Thanks,

Manu
Thanks, Manu!

This is very helpful.

Best,

Evan