Sharing dashboards using CoPilot - How To Guide

• 26 January 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
[i][i]With Gainsight's new sharing capabilities, you can now share dashboards, C360/R360 sections and success plans. While C360/R360 pages can be shared via CoPilot, you can't do this with dashboards straight out of the box.

But....there is a workaround that I'll explain below. [i]Please note that this has a few important caveats that you'll want to pay attention to at the bottom of the instructions.

Steps:

1. Create an outreach (with appropriate template and powerlist) to send to the individuals to whom you want to share the dashboard. We'll come back to this outreach later in the process.
  2. Using Administration > Dashboard Builder page
    1. Create a dashboard that you would like to share and enable sharing on that dashboard. 
    2. For sharing settings:[list=1]
    3. Uncheck - Enable OTP Verification
    4. Check - Add an expiration period (7 days)
    5. Optional - Enable Export
Using Gainsight Home page

1. Select your dashboard and click "Preview & Share"
  2. Under the "Preview and Share" settings, click the "Share" link and select yourself as the user to share the link with
You'll then receive an email with the link to the shared dashboard. Right click the link in the email message and "copy link address".

Important - Do not open the link in a browser window and copy the entire URL from the address bar. There is a token associated with the link once it's opened in a browser window that won't be reusable if you copy the link for use on another system.

• Return to the email template created in step 1. Update the email template with the link to the shared dashboard copied in step 4

• Send the outreach[/list] Notes:

• OTP cannot be enabled in this method as the password will only be sent to the original recipient of the email in step 4 above (which is you) and NOT to the recipients of the CoPilot outreach. 
    • Expiration period of 7 days is enabled to provide a measure of security. After the expiration period passes, the link will no longer be valid.
    • This method does not track all potential recipients of the shared link and as such you cannot revoke any specific user's access. [i]The only security is the expiration period of the link.

• If you wish to schedule this outreach on a recurring schedule (weekly, monthly, etc), you'll have to repeat steps 3-5 above [i]before the scheduled outreach runs to ensure that when it does send out the emails, the current link (and not an expired link) is sent.

• 7 replies

Userlevel 4
    Badge +1
    Hey Dan, this was very helpful and explains why we were having issues with our weekly dashboard sharing outreaches (we were sharing the tokened URL instead of the link address). To confirm, if we don't set an expiration date, the link does not need to be updated in between outreaches? 

Are there any plans to make it easier to schedule recurring sharing so that you don't have to set up a CoPilot outreach? It would be great if you could set this all up through the "Share" link on the dashboard view. 
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +2
    Hi Calvin, that's correct, if the link does not expire, the URL does not need to be updated. Just keep in mind that in that scenario, anyone with the link can freely access the information in the dashboard anytime, anywhere, with no security. As mentioned in my notes above, with this method, the expiration period is the only security measure

We are adding new features to our sharing capabilities and enabling more automated methods to share dashboards is part of that roadmap. 
    Userlevel 2
    Badge
    Dan, just to clarify, this link will work for anybody (internal, external, Gainsight user or not), correct?  I was just testing this and was surprised to see that the link worked even in an incognito window where I wouldn't be recognized.  Is the only reason that recipients need to be in the GS user object to share the dashboard initially is to send the email?  You don't actually verify identity when viewing the link?  That means that sharing with individual users simply generates a unique URL that's sent to them, but could theoretically be used by anyone.  Revoking access just revokes that one link?

Just trying to make sure we understand what data could potentially be exposed and how.
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +2
    Hi Mindy,

That's correct in this example. If you wanted to have discrete user controls, you would use the One Time Password (OTP) setting, however to share the link via CoPilot would collide with this as the OTP would be sent to the email which the share was originally sent to (your email in this walkthrough). 

That's why I recommended setting the link expiration period for a short duration (7 days) so that it would not be valid for an extended duration of time. 
    Badge
    Hi Dan - thanks for the detailed "How To".  I'm going to start using this approach but I'd really like to include a snapshot of at least one of the reports from the dashboard I am linking to in this email.  However, I think I can only include reports in emails that can be filtered by Account.  Is my assumption correct? 

My use case is to send a snapshot of Client Health from the Scorecard to our leadership team, that includes a report that breaks down Health Score by Region, for example:

To have this included in the email would be fantastic but I can't include this report in an email outreach, it doesn't appear in the import a report section of the outreach:

Looking forward to improvements in sharing capabilities.

Thanks!
    Userlevel 4
    Badge +3
    If we use this method and have reports filtered to show (for example) PSM = Current User, how would those be affected? We are planning to add our professional services team to the Gainsight Users object and share the dashboard with them, but would also like to include a direct dashboard link in the notification email they receive when a response has been submitted for easy access. 
    Badge

@katie_b I’m running into this issue now where when I use Dan’s example, the filter is set to the User that was sent the initial email link that we used in the outreach. 

Seems like the dashboard still thinks all users are the initial user.