Split Function in Bionic Rule Transformation Task

Related products: None

It would be great if there was a split function added to the capabilities of a transformation task within a bionic rule.

I have a situation where I am trying to parse the information from a field that contains multiple comma-separated values. For example, the data for a given record may look like this: "Phoenix,Seattle,Los Angeles"

Using the Right and Left function, I am currently only able to isolate the values "Phoenix" and "Los Angeles".

Introducing a Split function, or something similar, would allow users to specify the separating character, a comma in my example, and could output the data above into three different fields.

Thanks for the suggestion Jordan. We are adding new formula functions to the transformation task in Bionic Rules on an ongoing basis. This is not currently on our roadmap. I will keep you updated once this one is planned.

I would like to re-energize this ask with an additional vote and use-case….. we receive our active product data in a semi-colon delimited list and can range from 1 - x products.  We need the flexibility to isolate active products and as well as launch onboarding for products and this is becoming a greater challenge.   Pretty please? 

Still needed. Similar scenario

While not ideal. You could do multiple transformations and take the right or left on each one.

I.E. My string is "Phoenix,Seattle,Los Angeles" and I want Phoenix.

So you take everything to the right of the first comma. “Seattle,Los Angeles” and then everything to the left of the first comma “Seattle”

I thought more about this. Depending on your use case you could also pivot for each condition/option and then sue the fields individually to determine if set condition = true or not. If you need the actual string value then this wouldn’t really help you.

The first solution doesn’t work because the Left function doesn’t store the remaining values somewhere. My string is "Phoenix,Seattle,Los Angeles" will return Phoenix but “Seattle,Los Angeles” won’t be stored anywhere to use in another transformation.

The Pivot idea requires summarization which is not the case for me here. I’ve got nothing to summarize, I just want to parse. Or as I call it reverse concatenate 

Fairly certain that is the purpose of Left/Right. Left Trim and Right Trim are suppose to keep everything once it finds a string.

However, can’t seem to get them to work properly. So came up with another work around.

You can Transform, Number position of a string, looking for comma here. Then second transformation and sub string using the Number position. Then third transformation where you Number position of a string, again looking for comma here. Then 4th transformation and sub string using the second number position.

Again, not ideal but, possible workaround.

lol.  Yep tried that one.  The problem with it is I can’t refer to a field when writing the substring formula. It requires a static number.  So I can’t refer to the number position I just calculated and stored.  I can only enter a number.  

Hmm, feel like that got changed. I’ve done this before. I know I have. I wonder if it got limited.

lol.  Yep tried that one.  The problem with it is I can’t refer to a field when writing the substring formula. It requires a static number.  So I can’t refer to the number position I just calculated and stored.  I can only enter a number.  

FYI, you cna do this in bionic rules. Everywhere else seems broken.

I guess I shouldn’t have said anything here because now this capability is gone.