Rule Chain Abort UI & Behaviour

Related products: CS Rules & Permissions

According to Support, “Whenever a rule is processing and exceeded the limit, then first rule will perform all the actions and will give a message that limit has exceeded. So there is no data loss or failure records.”

A few clarifying points here:

1. The limit here is the Rule Chain limit, e.g. NOT the individual Rule limit. This is 300 minutes.
  2. The messaging and status received say that this particular Rule was aborted. Looking into the logs, all actions show as successful. This error message needs to change. 
  3. The rest of the Rule Chain at this point is aborted. The Rule Chain error message says Partially Successful. This needs to change. 
  4. The remaining Rules in the Rule Chain have now been aborted. There is no error messaging on this. It is far too easy to glaze over this piece of it and NOT check the remaining Rules to rerun them while troubleshooting.

Overall, the alerting system on Rule Chains needs A LOT of work. 

Correction to #3: it will show as Aborted.

Oooooff! I (luckily) didn’t encounter this problem (yet) I’ll keep an eye on it.
Sounds like something very easy to overlook😕

Thanks for the callouts here. @gunjanm, I didn’t realize that rule chains have a timeout of 300 minutes - helps to explain some failures.

@Stuart me neither!!!