Automatically Log All Emails to Timeline

Related products: CS Journey Orchestrator, Email & Notifications

I have had several customers request an enhancement to the Outlook/Gmail plug-in feature. Some end-users do not like to have to click the Log To Timeline checkbox to ensure the email is logged to timeline. Sometimes they forget and it is extra clicks. The enhancement request would be to allow all emails to be automatically logged to timeline without requiring an end-user to check the checkbox. Perhaps we could create that as an administrative setting that could be enabled or disabled as desired?

Agreed. Competitors give users the option to sync their Outlook or Gmail account with the platform. When an email is sent or received, it is automatically logged to the Timeline, removing the need for manual logging.

With HubSpot, you can choose to have all emails logged/ tracked by default and this feature is super useful as it reduces the chances of CSMs forgetting to manually tick the box every time to log an email. It is much easier to remember to untick an email if it doesn’t need to be tracked, or go back and delete a tracked/ logged email than to have missed logging important emails. 

If the worry with automatically logging all emails is that it will clog up the Timeline, HubSpot has some options that lets you filter out certain criteria, i.e. “do not log internal emails or do not log emails with xxx domain” to reduce noise. 

It would be good if Gainsight would release a similar feature. 

It is a common pain point that CSMs are forgetting to log their emails. 

Thank you. 

Hi team, we’re also receiving this feedback from our CSMs. It is often the case that they forget to press Log in Timeline. It would be useful to grant users the ability to log all emails if desired.

I like your idea of leaving it up to the admin in the org settings, whether to enable automatic logging or not. My understanding is that Gainsight’s philosophy is that it’s ideal for the CSM to be manually curating what should be logged to the timeline and what shouldn’t, but I question whether that’s always a realistic expectation especially for CSMs with large books of business.

We have spent the last 30 days rolling out and enabling our teams on Gainsight. One of the top questions I am fielding is whether or not we can auto-log emails in Gainsight Assist. This is definitely a realistic expectation and would enhance team efficiency. Would love to see an Admin global option available for the org. 

Upvoting this one as it is very important for our Teams. There is a specific use case where a CSM can be on vacation and another is “allocated” to watch for the account. In case a Customer replies to previous emails, they loose that visibility for these cases - this can include important topics being discussed.

The other thing is that using this extension is even more manual because threading doesn’t happen, so all emails needs to be logged one by one. 

It’s understandable that this could “clog” the Timeline, but for that, the integration could support syncing only specific labels for example. 

Upvoting this one for the reasons mentioned above. I also cannot conceive how a pooled CS team could operate from Gainsight and manage inbound customer requests without the email interactions being added to the timeline automatically.

Also, not sure if this is related or a separate request but threading would be very important.

Yes, this is greatly needed. We want Gainsight to be the one-stop shop for customer interactions, but that’s just not realistic if it requires our teams to remember to click the button for every email.

No StatusUnder Consideration

This is very important for our teams to ensure all communications are logged without the risks associated with manual processes. I agree that admin enablement of this feature would be preferred.

The question is, why would you not want to automatically log emails? Sure there may be the few items that don’t need to be logged and stored in the system, and if that’s the case, then make that an option for admin to control: to allow the deletion of logged emails, either by CSM or by manager. 

However, asking busy teams to introduce extra steps when sending out emails to remind the system to log it in, or to have to log in each email they receive from a customer is borderline ridiculous. In a fast paced world - ALL CLICKS MATTER. 

You are just asking for lost data and records. CSMs are used to send emails and a lot of times steps are muslce memory. Having to stop, what is normally a very natural process of keying in an email address and hitting send, to check and click extra boxes or add in other names to log, is just asking for mistakes. 

And I can’t even imagine coming back from weekends/holidays/vacations - having to not only go through the emails to catch up on, but then also having to take the time to go back and log each item to the customer’s account. 

In this day and age of tracking, this just seems like a huge waste of labor hours. Why block the 100s or 1000s of emails, to proctect the “what if” of a couple ones getting logged that shouldn’t.

Labor hours equal money. Less clicks means less time in process. Automation means less mistakes, which also causes money cleaning up messes that could have been prevented with proper tracking. 

This is an absolute must, if you can’t have an accurate log of customer communications it makes it so much more difficult to do anything with that customer. Making this a manual motion leaves so much room for error and missed communication logs. This is the largest drawback of Gainsight I see so far. 

We have taken a note of this and is part of our near term roadmap.

...Perhaps we could create that as an administrative setting that could be enabled or disabled as desired?

I think that would be a great idea. If admin decides to not track emails for any reason, let those be the one offs. But for the majority, automatic email logging is crucial to the daily operations and to over all quality assurance/tracking. 

Any updates on this, folks?

My team will be receiving a great number of tickets from ZenDesk and our leadership would like to have them logged to timeline. Doing it automatically would be of great value.

Thanks in advance!

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

We are likely going to have to pursue logging all emails via going Outreach plug in > Salesforce Activities > Gainsight Timeline to solve for this.

It would be much more preferable and much less work for us if the Gainsight Gmail plug in could just have a setting to automatically log all emails to timeline.