Template management needs to be centralized and better controlled

Related products: PX Engagements

It’s very difficult to update a template once it has been set as one. It has been recommended to use engagement cloning instead of templates to better facilitate maintenance. However, this method has risk of accidental changes to templates and no way to automatically or selectively apply the template changes. If I have 20 products, each with 10 engagements and the company colors change, we have to manually update our templates and 200 engagements with the updated CSS. This is just one aspect of template settings.

• As a customer with multiple subscriptions and products, I need one central place to define engagement templates and styles.
  • I need those templates to be editable by only a few key engagement developers.
  • I need template versioning so content developers know if they have the latest template.

Adding the ask that some elements of the engagement be lockable. After a template is created we want the ability to lock elements/settings so that the template has to be used in specific ways. 

Example is having legal text that must appear at the bottom. Without this text field locked this could be removed, bypassing the centralized administration of engagements 

Hi @sdreid  and @Ashton ,

We are working on following:

1. Template home - A central place where all your templates will be listed, access to this would be controlled from user management section under administration. From this home, you will be able to edit the templates. Versioning is something we have not yet thought of but the template would have Draft and Publish so any template that is published can be used for live engagements. (ETA - end of Q1’23 or early Q2’23)
  2. Media Home - In template home, we will also provide a media home, where frequently used/ branded media which are allowed can be stored and used in engagements. In engagements if you notice there is an option to upload from Library and is currently not in the best of the features. Using Media Home, Images/ Videos can be managed better. (ETA - end of Q1’23 or early Q2’23)
  3. Global CSS - Once the Template home feature is available, we will be providing a Global CSS, from where you will be able to edit at scale specific CSS classes, which you might have used in Templates so that multiple templates can be edited in one place. (ETA - Q2’23 end or early Q3’23)
  4. Locked elements in templates - This is on roadmap of Template home, but would be taken up after the Home and Global CSS are delivered as a feature on the product. (ETA - N/A)

Thanks,

Abhilash

AcknowledgedPlanned

@aharkut - Thanks for this update. 

@aharkut - Hoping that Template Home comes soon.  

Really hoping this makes engagement styling easier.   I noticed when I was creating a number of “Rating Survey” templates recently that I could do a lot of customization because of how each element on the dialog is classed in CSS.  I’ve noticed that there isn’t nearly the level of customization available in guides/dialogs because the boxes (rows) that get added aren’t uniquely classed so they can be targeted.   In other words, as you add more content boxes to the guides they re-use the same CSS class names (instead of “<engagementname>-container1”, “<engagementname>-container2”, etc).

Oh I’ve been asking for this! Love to see that a “template home” is in the works. To add on to potential use cases to explore: 

• I need to update different templates for use cases such as EOL messaging, release notes, recruitment surveys, etc. 
  • I need to ensure that the same audience rules and segmentation is used across repeated templates; ex: release notes always go to the same URL, segment, + user type.
  • I need to ensure the CSS styling follows the brand and can be edited across multiple engagements at once.