Solved

Timezone functionality?

• 21 February 2023
  • 8 replies

We have users complaining about the out of box Timezone list on contacts. It is not very intuitive to select the correct timezone, and doesn't have the difference from GMT or UTC listed. The only places we are using it is for our users and contacts. I'm thinking of just creating a custom object for contacts that has the dropdowns we'd like to see for timezone.

Is there any functionality tied into the system Timezone field for contacts that we would lose out on by moving to a custom field in its place?

icon

Best answer by manu_mittal 24 February 2023, 20:37

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Is this the experience you’re referring to? @JoelE 

Looks like we’re showing all names, but the descriptions actually have the values people expect to see:

I don’t think this is used anywhere right now, but will likely play a role when we add timezone support in advanced programs. + @Shilpa Gumnur @pgeorge 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @JoelE - I have worked with Support to get time zones added a while back, as we had issues with users not syncing because Gainsight didn’t have the same time zones as in SFDC. Perhaps a route you could go to get to an acceptable choice of time zones?

PS: agreed on the lack of standard/summer time support.

@manu_mittal What’s the horizon for time zone support in advanced programs? Keen on being in the loop of this and anything related to customizing send times based on not just time zones but local customs (holidays, varying weekend days in regions etc.). cc @JamesAllen 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don’t think this is used anywhere right now, but will likely play a role when we add timezone support in advanced programs.

@manu_mittal I did not know timezone support was on the roadmap. That is truly great news; can’t wait to see that functionality out in the wild.

Is this the experience you’re referring to? @JoelE 

Looks like we’re showing all names, but the descriptions actually have the values people expect to see:

I don’t think this is used anywhere right now, but will likely play a role when we add timezone support in advanced programs. + @Shilpa Gumnur @pgeorge 

Yes @manu_mittal - This is exactly it… If the Names and Descriptions were swapped it would be a lot more useful for an end user trying to make a selection.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We are considering adding timezone support soon, as part of all the JO improvements planned over the coming few quarters. We’ll keep you all posted!

Makes sense, @alizee, we’ll consider these local aspects as well. + @vmallya @PavanCh 

Any update on this work? If not, curious if there is a workaround for this other than creating our own custom object as suggested by @JoelE . 

We are in early stages of adoption and this is fairly critical to workflow. Agree fully that the Name is extremely challenging to both assign to the contact and/or interpret once assigned. Description appears to contain the required information. 

From a timing perspective, it would be good for my team to start out with a solution in hand rather than waiting on JO work that may or may not resolve this issue.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Any update on this work? If not, curious if there is a workaround for this other than creating our own custom object as suggested by @JoelE . 

We are in early stages of adoption and this is fairly critical to workflow. Agree fully that the Name is extremely challenging to both assign to the contact and/or interpret once assigned. Description appears to contain the required information. 

From a timing perspective, it would be good for my team to start out with a solution in hand rather than waiting on JO work that may or may not resolve this issue.  

@vmallya might be able to provide an update on the roadmap on this front 😀

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Curious if there is any update on this -- coming from Braze a few years back, their time zone functionality was second to none. 

Best parts:

• ability to use intelligent timing (system “learned” user behavior and would hold the email until the ideal time
  • local time zone support (fallback to company time zone)
  • quiet hours

The quiet hours option was something I used in Eloqua several years back as well -- being able to limit when emails are sent (both weekdays and times) would be especially awesome, in case a sync runs at the wrong time.