Question

Exporting Special Characters to Excel

Badge
When exporting scorecards, we've found that special characters like ü and ø don't show up correctly in Excel.

For example, the account name "A.P. Møller - Mærsk A/S" exports to Excel as "A.P. Mà ̧ller - Mærsk A/S" . Is there a fix for this? This is frustrating for our EMEA teams as they have to do tedeous manual cleanup when exporting scorecards.

4 replies

Hi Sara,

Are you using Office 2011 in Mac? If not, you can set the character set to utf-8 in excel and the characters should be displayed properly.  

Thanks,

Sumesh
I am using Office 2013 and am seeing this on all Excel exports from Gainsight. I was provided with the following work around from Gainsight support, but find this a (bad) short term solution to a problem which other vendors do not seem to have (i.e. Salesforce - when i export a report from SFDC, I do not get this issue...).

I sincerely hope that Gainsight will look into resolving this issue, as most businesses do not run Google Sheets as their main spreadsheet tool, and following on from comments made at Pulse London, there are a lot of countries in Europe and most of them have special characters in their alphabet.

Work around instructions from Gainsight support:

Option 1

Open the file in Google Sheets

Option 2

On a Windows computer, click "File > New" in Excel.

Click "Data" tab.

Then click "From Text" option. Select the CSV you file you saved from Accompa.

Excel will display "Text Import Wizard".

In step-1 of this wizard:

Select "Delimited" radiobutton.

In "File origin" field - select "65001 : Unicode (UTF-8)".

Click "Next >" button.

In step-2 of this wizard:

Select "Comma" checkbox.

Click "Finish" button.

In the dialog window that appears - click "OK" button.

Excel will display your CSV file - including non-English characters - properly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
I'm re-opening this 'problem' post because I understand it hasn't been solved to our customer's satisfaction, and assigning it to our reporting product manager for further comment.
Hello, I understand the situation wherein there is an encoding issue when it comes to European characters like umlauts, accents etc. Thanks for bringing this up. I will add it to the near term roadmap and will update the thread once we pick it up.

Thanks!