Dear Sally,

• 11 October 2023
  • 2 replies
Dear Sally,
Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Dear Sally, 

I’m a new CSM, and I am really struggling to get my customer executives to join our calls. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Can you help? 

Sincerely,

Desperate in Des Moines

Dear Desperate in Des Moines,

Those pesky executives are always triple booked even when they pick the time.  I feel your pain!  You have to make YOUR call more important to them than their overflowing inbox, another internal “planning meeting”, or posting something “inspirational” on LinkedIn.  

Here are a few tips:

• Don’t be a last-minute Lucy…have a clear agenda aligned to that executives’ priorities and send it in advance.
  • Put on the Ritz - Include something exciting that they can’t get elsewhere, like a sneak peek at your Product Roadmap. 
  • Pin a tail on their pain point - Make sure you understand why they are using your product and be prescriptive in your guidance in how they can get incremental value.
  • If all else fails, send up a flare and get your Executives involved!

What’s your advice for Desperate in Des Moines? 

2 replies

Badge +3

Some great tips here! Something that has worked for me in the past:
“In our last meeting, we discussed XXXX - I would love to hear your perspective/thoughts/considerations for this!"

Also - don’t be afraid to tag folks in the email with direct asks :)

Badge +3

Something that is important to stress that Tammi calls out here is having an agenda that aligns to your executive’s priorities. Executives tend to have a lot on their plate and not a lot of time to waste. Finding concise ways to explain how your solutions help executives work towards their priorities is something that can really help when starting off as a new CSM.