Blog

How to trigger guides in a sequence in PX?

• 2 March 2023
  • 4 replies
How to trigger guides in a sequence in PX?
Userlevel 6
Badge

Well, it’s been a while since we got this great question from attendees of our recent “Product Release Webinar” on “how to sequence guides within PX”. 

We informed them them that we will circle back on how they can do it in PX, and here we are!

Use case Scenario for Sequence guides: 

We use PX engagements for various scenarios like guided tours for onboarding, sharing marketing messages, and notifying users on paywalls and renewals, etc.,

Many times, we want the guides to be triggered in a sequence. One after the other, with a button, click on the first engagement.

For example, we launch Guide1, and the CTA button on Guide 1 should trigger Guide2. 

How can we achieve this use case in PX today?

“Query Parameters” + “Custom buttons” are the answer to this!

So what is “Query Parameter”?

The query parameter is part of the URL, if you demystify any URL into different sections and what they do, you will find query parameters is the last section of the URL that represents the data that is sent to the website. 

SgKTzz0RyGh-HEXSI1FCHDB56y2gCIgtVA1S34qYrznZ-rmaE6DpVYN64TmQJ1JDyHbPP9OCMKdMo7B-qP7oAqjpL4QGOz2-4XyGIrwavjW3BCRJqr_AZ0m8UXEkvggie4SqO1G9JrzNrjT9znaKTNA

In general, 

• Query Parameter represents a set of parameters added to the base URL (along with a value usually) to get specific content or denote an action from your application or website

Any parameter value is to the right of the “=” sign

So using the query parameter value, we can tell the website what the user should see next. 

Let us a take a simple example to demonstrate the scenario on how to combine query parameters with custom buttons to sequence guides:

Step 1: Create the first engagement upon which you want to trigger the second engagement.

Example scenario: We would like to ask the user if he wants to see an overview or use-case content about a specific feature called “path analyzer.”

eOWq0Me9xf43HMzf_R_Fug_mt9Ms6IDk6huO4C3trN_EsCWSoVbRN1KEzs5Fbl6DsY65Off5OZbEk9l3Gr-Se-rdV4RTis1Xj1iPwDgpbDmRsYCdY7wIjm-pXpYRhhvqEDn5NmUQ6bm-68uFyTHglkQ

Step2: Setup “Custom button” action type to “Redirect to URL,”  which takes query parameters

Ex : Redirect to URL : https://app.apple.com/dashboardsdata?Know=usecases

ljJB0WFT3X1Zr7lrqa_z7XxVWUe0qfbO0Xs-v7W0PRB7MeqY7vY2AaZHU4Hvnz1NsnJUmpAFYjVkWboh6ILpyWtEfCxn9SSgY_rkKuFz3YxJejiVxDvoVuUvyXX0webajWdDFkuarkqRzfSbh4Bn3v0OhsqXNMAoA1_yuEeAaVe2vEDTAmh8NaWDVQxhlfU7KSvYucJ_w5Xq8LE-yu04AvKHXAbJfP80bZ7qySksDfkv_vyNu8ZFSCgOqpt-d7Jb2dhyTODOe3wxDmXikrEHxOezcBNYQbkTq5dq27ipH8YrKg

“Know=usecases” is the query parameter

pNvJJ8nEEgLHSUgxeyGIZu7f4XA0VHGdCti2EDySHehkOhBQ5ebMdyKOVtQBttIh_JVxPqeavztJa1ikyp2-cyOvFUL-3uHNhjat3n_a-RZf-A5HIoJOLqwdewopAYfRvFI73aY-_lsGAbfz-6dvIDA

Step 3: Add query parameter logic to audience rules to connect the two engagements to the first.

Audience logic will be:

P5W-1xl1FBOxHT5_DEawRRPVlk1mQ8ARxCzt6MVGRJXpW-b2gpMoE3tSjBF6W5O_7E9-EBK23aDkLIoFjYCdIcEHX9z-s-ldcT0esQ8unZ5D55I7ECiojv__aU1XlH1L5Af59zTrrX4VY9Up7WLQfrI

C4DCv4VMyb7d9jEPYl4LNhUPQSZreohxPzUmSiRBpl8SF8eOR9IJqhgQEsnraiIhNf2BiNyHHa9vY-wrtbdGxTN2UXE2OuFvCGCSvg8E1KUpF-OwxnrkEcfNkprIuqxEUnGL4ePoptFN0wmuKvoE9Ng

Query Parameters 

know is usecases → To trigger usecase slider engagement

know is overview    → To trigger overview guide engagement

2XiwIsqZj4oGnMdT-vkvvRUMN-X_GeOLlkaPkMnmDG3vekmTyNiDxafbv5waA1K4H_jM4HdbVtLjAXODFfz98p9MU86u92kmHT9yOT4eFZJf2FOaDVKu7sLWcA63IV9JPw9-08oXd6NYY3MzcAF1oGU

Awesome isn’t it! We love sharing this with you :-)

Try this out and do share how you would use this functionality to nudge your users!

Happy PX-ing!

4 replies

Badge

@JayS  Apologies on the delay for creating this. But this was something that you asked in our webinar.

Userlevel 4

Thank you, @skalle. I’m reviewing it now.

Userlevel 4

Hi @skalle. I’m experimenting with this. Looks like I would have to schedule the second engagement(s) to be “once per visit” and “ignore throttling,” correct? Otherwise, I’m not getting the second engagement to launch.

Userlevel 3

Hello!

I’m in the process of reworking a number of our onboarding engagements.  I’ve found the use of the query parameters as an effective way for testing the engagements as I go, and also for linking guides in a sequence for onboarding (using a custom button):

?guide=cc-step1 > ?guide=cc-step2 > etc…

To make testing easier, i’ve set the guides as “paywall” and “ignore throttling” so that they launch each and every time I hit a URL with that query parameter.   It saves me from having to login/logout to reset the “visit.”