Opt Out option for automatic engagements

Related products: PX Engagements

We’ve received feedback from users that they’re seeing too many popups (automated engagements). We are evaluating the number of automated engagements we have running that a user would qualify for,  of course,  but I wondered about an “opt out” option.

Recently a “skip tour” option was added so the user can view the engagement at a later time. Could we also add an “opt out of guides” for users that only want to search for content on their own in the Knowledge Center Bot?

As I was typing that, I realized that we’d also probably need the ability to override the opt out selection for system outage or other urgent alerts, but users would be able to say they don’t want any automated training guides popping up to them.

Hi Jay,

I recommend a temporary workaround of sending out a quick boolean survey asking whether a user wants such automatic engagements on his screen or wants to opt out of them. You can simply filter out the users who opt to have the engagements on their page from the CSV file exported in Analytics and then include these emails in a segment.
You can include this segment in the Audience Logic of all the new engagements and even edit the old engagements to add this segment using the Audience Rules. 

Here is the step-by-step process to achieve the use case:

1. Create a new "Boolean" type Survey engagement.
    cc27298b-71ec-4e3c-a4df-36a4834b327b.jpg?source=web&v=6ed7161ba77a57308adda5a300678936

2. Give the Audience Logic and a URL rule on which the Survey shows up. Schedule the survey as per requirement and Launch.
  3. Once you receive the responses, go to Analytics and apply filters to export the CSV file with positive responses.

b6310c66-22d4-44c0-85cd-ad8038105294.jpg?source=web&v=69aafb3581ed8fcfe39ea9b09685b67b

4. Collect all the Email IDs and add these into a segment.

2146df61-3430-4585-a0e2-bb06c4dea056.jpg?source=web&v=a2058202a9d8a35177de5f71ca7667e5

5. You can use this segment as an Audience Logic for engagements which are not critical or of high priority.

f907ef8e-f5e9-4bd9-a42e-ebc418565c66.jpg?source=web&v=41b6ddafb72e7ea1dae1d3da1088cb3d

6. The negative responses can also be filtered out to show the “Opt In/Out” Survey at certain intervals, later if required.

Regards,

Pravalika.

@JayS, have you tried the Throttling feature for engagements? It controls the number of automatic engagements a user might be exposed to in a given timeframe. And, for system outages, you can configure it to “Ignore Throttling” which is available below the qualification scope in the Schedule step.

Thanks,

Abhilash

Hi @aharkut, yes we have throttling set in all of our Gainsight instances.

Hi @JayS! With the release of our custom button update, you can now set up Informational Engagement opt out in three steps: 

1. Create a custom user attribute to store the user’s opt out preference; its default should be set to false
  2. Add a custom button to your Engagement, and set its action to ‘Update User Attribute’. Select your new attribute and set its action type to true
  3. Add this attribute to a segment to be used across your Engagements, or apply it on an ad hoc basis to specific Engagements automatic Engagements that you want users to be able to opt out of

This solution assumes a group of Engagements that users can opt out of. If they choose to opt out of Informational Engagements, then the audience logic should be applied to all such Engagements. I’d recommend tagging Informational Engagements so that you can keep track of them/ensure that they all have the appropriate segmentation applied to honor your users’ opt out preferences. 

New IdeaCurrent Behaviour

Thank you, @broghanzwack! That’s a good idea.