More Fields Allowing URL links to records in reporting

Related products: None

Background: You have cases in SFDC on your standard case object. You run a report on those cases in Gainsight off the SFDC object and your Case Number field hyperlinks to each individual case. This is great, we love this.

Problem: This functionality is very limited and isn’t well documented. From what I can tell, some number and type of fields support this functionality for some (all?) standard SFDC objects. Given there is no clear documentation on when this behavior occurs, it is hard to know when to expect it and when not to. If I for examle have an Invoice object in SFDC and run a report with a field showing Invoice Number I would want to be able to click on those invoice numbers to take me to that record. Currently, that is not supported even though the field type is the same as Case Number.

Proposed Solution: There are several options, implementing any one of them likely depends on how cumbersom it is to implement, and these are just ideas:

1. Enable linking for any AutoNumber field type in SFDC objects. This would be the most ideal from an end-user perspective. Just have this work out of the box.
  2. Create a framework where users can enable this on a per object basis. If enabling everything automatically isn’t a great idea, allow admins to turn it on when needed. Less ideal but better than the current state.
  3. Create a process where admins can request Gainsight enable the functionality on a per object basis. This is the least ideal, as it creates alot of work for both teams, but still better than the current state.

I’ve looked at a few other product requests such as this one 

and some of the proposed workarounds where you injest the entire object into Gainsight, create a custom field and hope that works aren’t really viable. You end up with more duplicate data than you need as well as another point of failure, not to mention quite a bit of work to replicate a process that is clearly possible for Gainsight to implement already on some level.

@bradley Thanks for writing here! That’s great you found the other product requests as well.

@bradley Thanks for writing here! That’s great you found the other product requests as well.

Thought it was worth mentioning I tried to do my research first 🙂. I think this would be a supremely helpful part of the Gainsight toolbox that would really improve the adoption of Gainsight Dashboards and Reports from users who traditionally used SFDC or spreadsheets.

Hi @bradley 

We do have hyperlinking behavior for limited objects in reporting. However, it is not scalable to keep on adding more objects. As you mentioned one option is to see if we can enhance it for all objects directly. I will explore this a bit more. 

The other alternative is to be able to dynamically create a URL via our formula fields in the report itself. This seems like an easier path to take. Can you tell me if this solves the usecases you have?

I’ve looked at a few other product requests such as this one 

and some of the proposed workarounds where you injest the entire object into Gainsight, create a custom field and hope that works aren’t really viable. You end up with more duplicate data than you need as well as another point of failure, not to mention quite a bit of work to replicate a process that is clearly possible for Gainsight to implement already on some level.

Hello @rakesh , I imagine if it was easy to do it would have been done already 🙂 If your suggestion is referring to what I mentioned in my original post then no, it isn’t really a good alternative. I would also say that a solution that is easier for Gainsight (e.g., do nothing and have the customer complete a cumbersome workaround) is kind of, in my opinion, missing the point of your customers making suggestions. 

If you’re referring to something else, I’m all ears and take back my rant :)