Update Field Names in S3 Export When Changed

Related products: CS Rules & Permissions

Here’s the basic issue: Changing the field name/label/display of a field does NOT change what is exported in S3 in Horizon Rules.

Basic ask: Allow for field name changes to be reflected in S3 export.

Additional context:

You have a transformation task off of which you have an S3 export. You create a field on that transformation task and need to change the name after creating it. Regardless of if you change the label or display name, the original field name will always show. Renaming and resaving your tasks doesn’t help. It will only update how it is shown in the rule, not in the export of the data itself.

A suggestion from support was to build an action off of the task and see if that helps. Unfortunately that’s not currently how S3 exports work (plug for this: 

)

so that isn’t helpful.

The existing workarounds are essentially to:

• Never need to change the name in the first place
  • Delete any impacted fields and re-add them with new names before saving the task
  • Possibly adding extra unnecessary tasks, changing the names before saving the step and then exporting off of that

None of those workarounds are a particularly great or intuitive user experience, especially if you’re adjusting an already in place rule. Not to mention troubleshooting gets interesting if your file headers don’t match any of your field names.

I thought the community site was for ideas and enhancements and such. This 100% feels like a product defect. You would have to work really hard, and have some compelling arguments to make me believe that this is truly intended behavior. If you rename a field in the dataset, it should absolutely also carry that name forward to the export of that same dataset.

Again, this is a bug, not an “idea”.

I only landed on this page because I finally logged this as a ticket after suffering with the workarounds for a really long time, and finally deciding to log a defect. Then the support team closed my support case, and sent me here to upvote this enhancement request.

🤔

Thanks for this feedback @bradley and really  sorry for the inconvenience @jordan_cook.

I have shared this feedback with my team and will soon get back to you on the ETA for this.

Here’s the basic issue: Changing the field name/label/display of a field does NOT change what is exported in S3 in Horizon Rules.

None of those workarounds are a particularly great or intuitive user experience, especially if you’re adjusting an already in place rule. Not to mention troubleshooting gets interesting if your file headers don’t match any of your field names.

Haha, I submitted a very similar idea as I missed this one somehow. I said the same with different words 
“If you were to troubleshoot something in the future, basically you have to guess which column in the exported CSV you are looking at if at any point in time the Display Name was updated.”

​​

Thanks for sharing @bradley !

Phew found an annoying, but not too bad workaround! I made all my name changes, then did a transformation, literally made 0 changes, and enabled the export from this additional step, and voila the field names are respected. 

I fell into this trap because I was exporting a lot of picklist values and Gainsight defaults to exporting the gsid behind every picklist value and forces you into a weird duplicate the field to save it as a string if you want what most people would consider to be the “value”. But make sure the names unique before you try to and delete the original field so you don’t accidentally delete both when trying to get back to exporting this single field in your experience to get the picklist “label” too! If you use your final, desired display name on the gsid field, then you are out of luck getting the correct .csv column header without a complete rebuild or this transformation hack.

Overall, +1,000 on this being a very frustrating and unacceptable experience.

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.