multiple users contribute to a single timeline entry

Related products: None

Use Case: During a client call, there may be multiple people talking to the client that want to contribute to notes and tasks memorialized on a single Timeline entry. Some examples include:

1. CSM Teams that work on a single strategic account (frequency - weekly for these accounts)

2. CSM Managers that join a CSM on a call for a client at risk

3. Account Executive collaboration with CSMs

Possible work-arounds explored and issues:

1. Creating separate Timeline entries by each person on Gainsight attending the client call

1. Multiple Timeline entries do not have a single source of truth

2. Ineffiencient, duplication of efforts

Request: Since Gainsight is promoting that all poeple who work for the company should be contributing to the Custoemr Success, it would be great if these activities could be updated in real-time by multiple people, such as Google Doc.

Hi Angela, Thanks for bringing this up! we coming up with comments functionality, where multiple users can collaborate on the same activity. 

Thanks for posting.

Hi Angela - we are targeting August to bring comment threads to Timeline activities which will both respect the integrity of the original activity creator's post while allowing for collaboration and discussion.

i'm glad that we'll have the ability to comment on timeline threads. that's great. but i wanted to double down on the co-authoring request.

here's another use case that is very common: one CSM starts a timeline entry (for example "knowledge transfer" when they are moving an account from one CSM to another) and then another CSM (the one receiving the account) should be able to continue to build on that timeline entry and edit it.

the work arounds today create confusion / loss of searchability 1) create seperate timeline entries 2) fill out a word doc or spreadsheet and attach it

The new comments feature is great as it allows users to comment around an activity. I think the next step would be to allow real-time collaboration on the activity itself. As an admin, I'd like to push my users to document real-time notes in timeline. However, most will opt for something like google doc, dropbox paper, box notes, etc. and paste the notes into Timeline afterwards.

The biggest reason for this is that they can collaborate with other users in real-time and build out the content together. There is also sometimes an issue with access since not all users have Gainsight.

Timeline is one of the key features that I've pushed on to drive adoption of Gainsight. If you could incorporate the collaboration and accessibility of google docs with Timeline, Timeline would be the clear cut preference for users since it is already associated to a customer.

We recently got feedback from our users that they want the real time collaboration capability in a timeline entry similar to what you can do in google docs.  The previous comments on this thread give good use cases on why this is desired.  The primary part here is building content collaboratively.  For example, in a meeting there could be a CSM talking and while this occurs another person could be capturing notes.  Then the roles could be reversed in the same call and now the CSM is capturing notes.