A way to report on rule action ID's.

Related products: None

Posting on behalf of a customer. Currently there is no way to report and find the rule action ID of an action in a rule. Having this for the future would be helpful in determing what rule fired off a CTA for example.

Agree - just ran into this when I was trying to look for the name of the rule that was triggering a specific Playbook. From a CTA report, I could pull the Rule Action Id that was connected to the CTA, but I couldn't look that ID up anywhere (like on a Rules report) so I had to search through the actions of each rule that had a CTA action.

I also had a customer reaching out with the same request. He wanted to find the rules that had been firing CTAs.

Please share you thoughts.

This should be valuable feature, as the rule action provides little value.  Need to know the Rule that is creating the CTA.

Hi All,

The common problem here seems to be the fact that you are unable to identify what created a CTA. Am I right in this understanding? 

cc: @sriram pasupathi 

@rakesh Yes

@anirbandutta is there any update on this? Came across a need for this the other day and really missed not having a lookup on Rule ID (or even the existing Rule Action ID) that would give me useful information like:

• Rule Name
  • Rule Action Description
  • Active Y/N (is this even an active rule?)
  • Deleted (for rule actions)
  • Default User
  • Created Date (for the rule/action ID)

I’ve created a proactive/audit dashboard for Rules that create CTAs (has the rule/action created CTAs recently? Are they assigned to licensed users? Are they assigned to the default user? Active User? etc) but it is suuuuper fragile because rule action ID must be inferred, and explicitly called out for every report. This means you’d need to modify one or more reports/widgets if you ever add a relevant rule action, or replace an existing one.

edit: I’m talking about reporting off of the CTA MDA object, improvements on it would be great, but better rule reporting in general would be rad.

Thanks for elevating Bradley, checking internally where are we with this.

@anirbandutta Resurfacing this. Came across another use case where we want to report upon the CTAs that are triggered automatically but cannot do so because of the inability to see the rule that was triggered by just the Rule Action ID.

Any update on this?

I’d like to see this implemented and, frankly, would like our rules to be able to be reported on, period. We have an Admin dashboard, and it would be awesome to build a custom report and have direct links to rules there (such as: “Rules that have failed in past 24 hours”) rather than having to fumble around Analyzer.

Chiming in as well that this is a top need for us, especially with the 30-day limit on logs being kept in Rules Engine.

Analyzer seems like the natural home for something like this!

I came across a need for this recently where I was struggling to figure out which rule CTAs had fired from (especially since we have a few). Instead of looking through the execution history and downloading logs to parse through the data of each rule, it would be such a time saver to build a quick report and pull in the action ID which would help us almost immediately identify the rule. Also agree with others above that this would be huge given the 30 day limit on execution history.

Maybe I am missing something or just know the product too well.

But you can get an export of rules and action id’s from the GS config export in analyzer. Does this not solve the need? True you have to export it and wait for it. But there is a way to get the data in mass.

But you can get an export of rules and action id’s from the GS config export in analyzer. Does this not solve the need? True you have to export it and wait for it. But there is a way to get the data in mass.

While it’s great that they can be surfaced via Configuration Home export, there’s three problems I find here:

1.) Obviously varies by instance, but this file is massive and can take a while to export. Sure, not the biggest problem, but a pain that you need to export your entire instance every time you want to see the Action IDs.

2.) Each rule is a row, not each Action ID. If a rule has multiple actions (and some of ours have 5-10+), every ActionID for that rule is listed in a single cell and makes searching even more difficult.

3.) Mildly annoying, but it doesn’t tell us which action in a rule is at fault. Fine for rules with a single action, but for the multi-action rules, it just means you have to do more troubleshooting/exporting after waiting for the export of your entire instance.

While it’s great that they can be surfaced via Configuration Home export, there’s three problems I find here:

1.) Obviously varies by instance, but this file is massive and can take a while to export. Sure, not the biggest problem, but a pain that you need to export your entire instance every time you want to see the Action IDs.

2.) Each rule is a row, not each Action ID. If a rule has multiple actions (and some of ours have 5-10+), every ActionID for that rule is listed in a single cell and makes searching even more difficult.

3.) Mildly annoying, but it doesn’t tell us which action in a rule is at fault. Fine for rules with a single action, but for the multi-action rules, it just means you have to do more troubleshooting/exporting after waiting for the export of your entire instance.

Agreed, it’s not easy and not pretty. And it does take work. But, every other post in this thread didn’t even have a way/possible solution. I was just providing a bare minimum way for people to do it today.