Segments - Sample Usecases

• 3 August 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Segments can be created to fetch a sub-group of customers, relationships, and contacts that meet your selected criteria using source objects. These Segments can later be used as one of the Source types, to add participants in Programs.

Detailed documentation,

https://support.gainsight.com/SFDC_Edition/Journey_Orchestrator_and_Email_Templates/Programs/Segments

*As of today, Segments can be used only to fetch participants in the Programs, but they’ll be available for Rules and Reporting in the future releases.

Usecase1: Inform all the SEA region CSMs regarding the upcoming summit!

Fetch list of companies from a particular region (ex. SEA region),

1. Create Segment with Source ‘Company’
  2. Select the required fields
  3. Apply filter on region
  4. Schedule the segment to run at a desired time.

Usecase2: Inform all the admins regarding the upcoming release and new features!

Fetch list of Admins only,

1. Create Segment with Source ‘Company Person’
  3. Apply filter on Role

Usecase 3: Inform all the CSMs regarding upcoming maintenance for the ‘Mobile’ product!

Fetch list of Companies using product - ‘Mobile’,

1. Create Segment with Source ‘Relationship’
  3. Apply filter on Product

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@phaneendhar_lingam Segments is a new feature, definitely need this and thanks for sharing the use-cases here! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

It would be helpful to have a query builder in Segments so that we can pull data from multiple objects. This is helpful for Opt Outs or to identify if a user is a primary contact that is flagged in SFDC

@andreammelde  The idea of segments is to give a quick way to create segments of companies and people. We wanted to simplify it for the 80% use-cases. 

For the rest 20% where you want to use multiple sources, merge, transform, please use data designer. Dataspaces created via data designer are available in Segments too.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Segments would be much more useful if we could layer them, then I would just build a load of basic audience configurations and when building a program would AND/OR them together (including exclusions).

Otherwise I just have to go and build a new segment each time, so I may as well just duplicate an old program and add any extra filters to the existing audience there (which is exactly what I do).

This would also mean end-users not comfortable with the data and object structure could still build what they need.

E.g if someone wanted to email all non-strategic opted-in admins in APAC they could use the following (with each colour denoting a different segment)

All Admins AND APAC Customers AND Opted-In NOT Strategic Tier

Badge +3

@parimala_agnihotri I hope this will help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

It would be helpful to have a query builder in Segments so that we can pull data from multiple objects. This is helpful for Opt Outs or to identify if a user is a primary contact that is flagged in SFDC

I agree!  Our use case would be able to always pull in certain types of contacts, but then merge them with snowflake, make transformations, etc.  However, the criteria for the contacts could remain the same across multiple journeys and would be simplified and consistent by having those filters stored in segments instead of re-creating them in the fetch for each query (or data designer, as suggested earlier).

Userlevel 4

Hello All,
using segments within segments is not available today, we will add this to roadmap. I will update once it is prioritised.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hello All,
using segments within segments is not available today, we will add this to roadmap. I will update once it is prioritised.

I think for our use case, Segments being available in Queries would best meet our needs.  In the drop down to select Matrix or Connected CRM, I would love to have Segments be available as a source for the fetch.