Solved

Latest release broke surveys

• 13 September 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge
After the release last week, we started receiving reports that survey links we were sending out through CoPilot were giving users an error message saying: "An error occurred, please contact survey sender."

Turns out in the survey site itself in SF, there is a checkbox that notes "Require secure site (Https)".

And with the latest release, Gainsight started to require this for survey sites.

THIS IS THE KIND OF INFO WE NEED IN RELEASE NOTES!!

This is not the first time we've had releases break functionality without any warning.  And this time, not just back-end functionality, but broken functionality in something we're sending out to our Customers, which just makes us look bad. 

So just in case anyone else is getting the same issue, it's an easy fix.  I just would have preferred to fix it before we sent broken links out to our customers. 
icon

Best answer by dstokowski 13 September 2017, 19:17

View original

6 replies

Badge +1
We had the same issue, luckily I have the outreach email notifications turned on so I received a notice that our outreaches failed and were able to get the issue fixed fairly quick.  A heads up in the release notes would have been great, if it was there I did not see it.
Badge +3
Sincere apology on this.  This change is in the Release Notes in point #5 and #6 under Surveys - however, given the importance of this change, we need to highlight this better for all of you (perhaps using our new in-app message capability)

https://support.gainsight.com/Release_Notes/2017/Release_Notes_Version_5.9_September_2017-Incremental_Improvements#Surveys
Badge +1
Thanks Denise!  Since we weren't looking to make changes to our survey process I quickly scanned that portion of the release notes, which is probably how I missed it.  I like the idea of using the in-app messaging especially for things that change existing processes.
Badge
Thanks for that, Denise.  However, even from that, " Survey Site URL must be secured to successfully trigger Outreaches/Advanced Outreaches:" doesn't say to me "You need to have your SF Admin check that this box is checked, or surveys you already have being sent every day will send out bad links."  The release notes imply that you will get an error message, and we never saw any error message within Gainsight, since this particular Outreach has been running for months. 

That also brings up another point.  Why is this detailed set of release notes that includes this information different than the release notes that is sent out by email here?: https://support.gainsight.com/Release_Notes/2017/Release_Notes_Version_5.9_September_2017-Summary_Li...

And from that Summary List view of the release notes, it would be really nice if those summary points included links to a page with more details like the one you linked to, so I don't need to go search the help site for each thing I'm interested in more information on. 
Badge +3
Appreciate the input and agree with you Leanne.  We missed on highlighting this prominently for our admins.  Today, we also added via announcement in NPS/Survey category and on the home page of Community and will add messaging in app so hopefully other Admins won't be faced with the same issue.  
So we have had the box checked to redirect all HTTP to HTTPS for the default survey site. In the past, when running NPS surveys, we had it set to HTTP link. We presume Salesforce handled the redirection. For surveys going forward, should we use the HTTPS link for the survey itself or is it ok to keep HTTP and have the redirect in play?