Solved

SDK - Custom DOM - Backfill

Userlevel 3

We added a custom DOM attribute to Gainsight PX  for click tracking: data-px

I added data-px and data-px* because we were going back and forth on the final value. We settled on data-px but both values have been added to all SDK Settings pages. 

Do I have the wrong backfill assumption on how adding data-px should work?

1. My assumption:
    • Because we can backfill class and id items (auto-tracked), we would also be able to backfill data-px values
    • In my mind backfill would function the same, permitting the engineers to be moving faster than the product mapper people, but not losing the data-px values because we can backfill to populate as we progress.
  2. My questions:
    • After implementing it seems to me that backfill is only available for the 2 default values.
      • Is backfill only available for the default tracked values?
      • Have I caused a conflict by having two similar values configured?

Thank you!

Leah

icon

Best answer by lpicone 31 May 2022, 16:21

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for posting to PX Community @lpicone !

Any custom DOM attributes that you add will be tracked with the raw click events from that point forward.  So, backfill will only be available from that point forward as they do not exist in the previously tracked click events.

1. Backfill is available for all default tracked elements and attributes, plus any custom DOM attributes that exist at that point in time.
  2. There is no conflict with adding both data-px and data-px*, but they are redundant.  You should just use the wild-carded attribute name to also pick up the first attribute as well.

Happy PX-ing!

Userlevel 3

Thank you for responding! @link_black 

Based on your response I read it as:

• Example: Added Custom DOM tracking on 5/1/2022
  • When I backfill, I will be able to report on the events triggered beginning on “5/1/2022”.

So, as long as the Custom DOM was added before we began coding then I should have all applicable data.

Thank you!