Roadmap for emailing dashboard links via schedule?

• 23 April 2018
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I know this is getting asked about already by various customers, but I couldn't find a good answer on current roadmap plans.

The new "email secure dashboard links" functionality is great - and the next step is to allow it either via CoPilot or a schedule right in the Share Dashboard UI (I've already seen Dan Ahrens' workaround - not going to to work for ActiveHealth or Cisco since the OTP can't be used to secure the process).

Because the PPT version is essentially unusable, having this on it's way would be great - even a Step 1 of storing a list so the admin can go in once a week and mail to the saved list again would help.

Is this on the summer release plans anywhere?

Thanks!

9 replies

Badge +3
Is their use case to send to internal people or internal and external?  You can also use IP restrictions in sharing
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
It's a mix in both cases - internal and "internal non-SFDC" users -  but asking ActiveHealth to whitelist 90+ IPs so they can schedule this as a copilot (small SFDC org, overburdened admin) isn't really an option.

We'll have to make this schedule-able at some point anyway in a way that includes OTP - ActiveHealth will be fine in the short term, but given the interest in being able to do this securely, I figured it was penciled in for the relatively near future - just looking for a rough timeline vs. a workaround at the moment.

Thanks!
Badge +3
So are there two parts to this ER:

1) Scheduling the email for sharing dashboards via dashboard sharing vs current option of emailing the ppt

2) Offering an alternative to authenticate (not OTP) - do they need/want the user to authenticate and limit access?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi Denise - 

On Part 1: yes, exactly - being able to schedule the new "Sharing Dashboards" email send rather than the GS Admin going into the dashboard and manually searching up the GS Users to send it to.

Alternatively, there are longstanding requests to "tune up" the PPT version of dashboard sharing - I still think the above is the way to go, but closing some tech debt on the PPTs would be helpful (each widget lands on its own slide - being able to limit # of slides created, etc.)

On Part 2:  Not looking for an [i]alternative to OTP with this functionality - the issue with the current workaround (setting up with copilot) is that we [i]can't include OTP in a copilot setup (understandably - it's a workaround) -

so it just circles back to Part 1 -- goal is to allow a Gainsight Admin to go through the process of setting up a Dashboard Share with OTP and select 5 or 10 people from GS User to share it to -- and then schedule it to run daily, or weekly, etc.  That would be V1, at least.

Hope that helps!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey Scott - curious here with your response on Part 2. Do you feel it's necessary to repeatedly send the same link daily or weekly to the same 5 or 10 people? 

Could they just bookmark the shared dashboard and view it any time they wanted to that way? The entire purpose of Sharing is that it's live data (not a snapshot of a report that's sent via email that is out of date as soon as it's sent). 

Or is there something else that I'm missing here?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi Dan - Fair question, but yes, I think it's necessary.  The 'business' reason for this request from ActiveHealth that matches up pretty universally is sending this out to upper-level execs. 

These are not people who will necessarily bookmark a link for all time - it puts it in front of them once a week as a remember.

From an infosec side, I think even with OTP authentication, nobody wants to leave a link without an expiration ever - for internal execs with OTP, 30 days, maybe?  I just picture the infosec types getting twitchy at the idea of "we send it once, they authenticate once, and then your admin can make it so they don't ever need a password when they use the link.

On the infosec side, maybe there's other protections we could put in - but in terms of putting something in front of the right people once a week - that's the case I see.

Thoughts?

Scott
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Giving this a bump - any thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Another idea would be that with the new licensing model where users viewing shared content would need a viewer license, the authentication would be built in perhaps? And if they have SSO enabled (like we do on the internal GS Standard demo environment), all they have to do is enter their email address and the SSO manages the rest.

Hello Everyone,

Happy to announce that your request has been considered and implemented in the Horizon Analytics in both SFDC & NXT versions. Admins can now schedule and share the Report and Dashboard as required.

Thanks for posting!