Solved

Need the ability to make changes to rule without losing actions

• 27 January 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I want to edit the rule without having to lose all of my actions. Making small changes and edits isn't possible and the rule actions have to be completely rewritten each time. I have rules with a bunch of actions that I'd love not to rewrite.
icon

Best answer by dan_ahrens 29 January 2018, 18:55

View original

5 replies

Hi Jason,

Ability to create actions for all the dataset tasks in your Bionic Rules was shipped with fall release.

If you delete a task, it will delete the actions corresponding to the task which you are attempting to delete. All your other task actions will be intact.

Let me know if that doesn't work or is that not what you are looking for.

Regards,

Jitin
Userlevel 3
Badge
Right, I'd like to be able to edit/modify/change my tasks without breaking all of the actions. For example, I need to add another field from one of the datasets. Now, there is no way for me to go in and add the field, update a merge/pivot/transformation without completely redoing all of the actions.

Would be very helpful to be able to preserve all of the actions.
Badge
Yup, totally agree. I know there is likely some logical issues there given dependcies on what fields are added in the task. Would love to be part of the conversation if use cases or logic issues need discussion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Jason - you should be able to add a field to your dataset task and then cascade that added field through any transform or merge tasks. You can do this as long as you don't make changes to the fields that are existing and used by the 'setup action' step. If you make any changes to those fields, then the dependency on downstream actions will stop you.

This is a safety measure to ensure that you don't have downstream actions that are "orphaned" with missing data required to complete the action. 
Userlevel 3
Badge
Oh, I see it now. Gotta make that "Show Selected" checkbox more obvious. Wasn't clear that those fields were available.