Solved

Can you add data to a flattened survey dataset?

• 7 August 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge
  • Shoshin
  • 314 replies
I am working with a flattened survey for the first time and am hitting some snags. I usually merge survey data with Account and other SFDC data using a Data Space. I cannot do that with a flattened survey due to it being in MDA. 

So then I tried to add fields to the flattened survey MDA table. Unfortunately, that table is locked.

The only other thought I have would be to make a new MDA table, map all the current flattened survey fields over to that object, make the new field I want, then map those over from SFDC. Doable, but doesn't sound enjoyable.

Is there an easier way? 

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by ben 14 August 2018, 17:18

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Right there with you, Ben. While the flattened table works well in and of itself, it's proves to be difficult to link out to other data sources, especially because the survey information lives in MDA, where as much of the metadata you would want to link to (especially Accounts and Contacts) is over in SFDC.
Badge
Yup, its a pretty sticky problem. My only idea as a workaround is to export the raw survey data from the survey itself, export account or contact data from SFDC, then merge them in Excel.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I ended up effectively doing that via the Rules Engine. With a Bionic Rule, you can query the results from the flattened survey table, the Advanced Outreach / Journey that sent the survey and the SFDC Contacts. Through some pivoting and merging, they can be re-united. However, that solution gives me an export (which in my case is all I needed); it doesn't truly re-unite the survey with the contact in the MDA or in SFDC on an evergreen basis.
Badge
This is the best way I have found to accomplish this task: https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/how-to-hack-bionic-reports
Badge
@Ben, you're reading my mind. This use case is exactly the reason I want Bionic Reports. I can't add the right Relationship CSM to my flattened survey report, and need to lookup against the Associated object ID to pull the right CSM in.  The only way I've come up with to do it is to right a Bionic rule that basically copies the flattened survey table, and adds a couple of fields to it, just as you've said.