Question

Beware deleting a Scorecard if it's still "in use" within the Rules Engine

• 4 October 2017
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I ran into a behavior today regarding Scorecards and Rules Engine that I'm sharing with the Gainsight Community:

If you delete a Scorecard (from Scorecards 2.0), any Rule that has an Action to Set Score against that Scorecard will fail. There's no validation warning or "prohibition message" that alerts you that you have Rules set to update the Scorecard you're deleting.

To correct, open the Rule and Save it. You do not need to manually remove the deleted Scorecard from each Action within the Rule, because that is already done. You do need to open and re-Save the rule to get successful runs.

The longer story.....

I deleted a Scorecard (in Scorecard 2.0) that we no longer intend to use. That Scorecard was named in literally dozens of Actions within several Rules in the Rules Engine. After deleting the Scorecard, the Rules with Actions to "Set Score" on that Scorecard all failed entirely. (Note: It appears to me that the entire Action fails, even on 'surviving' Scorecards.)

It seems deleting a Scorecard that is configured to be set within a Rule causes that Rule to fail unless each Rule with an Action configured to update that Scorecard is re-saved.

That could be a long process, finding all Rules that would have called a deleted scorecard, especially because the Gainsight UI doesn't actually show you that information once the scorecard is deleted. The UI signals the deleted Scorecard isn't going to be updated any further.

I'd petition Gainsight that this is a good place for a warning, or even a validation / "you cannot delete this" type message due to upstream or downstream dependencies. This could be analogous to the message that stops you from deleting a Report if that Report appears on a Dashboard.

Warning the user about deleting a Scorecard that appears in the Rules Engine could stop an admin from having to (1) endure the pain of Rule failures and (2) re-save all their rules. Also, it could also save an admin from an painful inadvertent delete of a Scorecard that the Rules Engine is currently configured to update.

6 replies

Hi Matt,

We do provide a message in the UI when deleting a scorecard that the associated rules and reports will be impacted and if the user does want to continue with the deletion - 

Can you please a raise a support ticket if it is not working in your org? If that is indeed the case , then as you said it is a basic usability issue that the admin who deletes a scorecard should be alerted of the impact of his/her action.

Thanks

Abhishek S
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Matt,

Aside from the potential support case Abhishek mentions above, I'd be curious as to why you have a single scorecard that is being written to by multiple rules and actions. In a very general sense, it's better to use a single rule to set the potential scores of a single scorecard at a time as this helps with maintenance (as you noted, it can be complex to update and unwind later). 
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Because each Measure typically rides on a different data input source (support activity, usage activity, native data, surveys), it's cleanest for us to write a rule for each data input source that writes a score to its corresponding Measure.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Ah, sorry. I got confused there for a second and was thinking measures when you clearly said scorecards. My bad. 🙂
Badge +1
Hello Abhishek,

After discussing with Matt more on the senario, at a certain extent the popup now does the job of warning users, however, it does not make it easy for one to identify and remove dependencies.

Naturally when a User sees a popup we generally try to click whatever to make it go away, I know I would. In this situation, a user goes ahead and hits "Yes" and what happens is that a rule that uses anything related to the scorecard fails entirely. Even though Set 2.0 score action is combined with other actions. 

We should better handle notification to the user similar to reports, by preventing the bypass. If you try to delete a report, used in a dashboard, you get stopped entirely, there isn't an "ok" button to click to bypass it. We should provide a list of rules that will be affected if a scorecard measure was deleted. That way User isn't frustrated having to find them and spend that time, more time can be sent else where. 
Hi Kevin,

The ideal solution is to delete the associated rule actions and or reports where the scorecard is used when we delete the scorecard. That is there in our roadmap and that requires a non trivial amount of work to be done.

I would however disagree that we should not allow the rules or reports to be deleted entirely because a lot of the times, finding the myriad rules or reports where a scorecard is used would be difficult for end user.

Thanks

Abhishek S