CTAs created at User Level

Related products: None

Not sure if this is in the road map or not, but I think it would be very helpful if we were able to create CTAs at the user level instead of just at the account level. 

My use case on this is regarding CTAs generated for low usage or users that are not logging into our platform. 

Currently, I have CTAs that are triggered if a user goes a certain amount of days without logging in. This is to alert the CSMs that this could be a possible risk factor since the client is not using our product to the full extent. I would also like to be able to automatically close these CTAs via rules if the user happens to login following CTA creation but before the CSM had a chance to take action on said CTA. The issue I am experiencing with trying to close these CTAs via the rules engine is due to them being created at the account level.

For example: If there are multiple users at one account that meet the criteria and have the "No Login" CTAs created. Then only one of those users logs in and meets the criteria to auto close the CTA, the rule will also close the other "No Login" CTAs for the users that still haven't logged in from that account. It seems to me that it is being applied to any CTA that matches the criteria from the Setup Action window of the Rule Builder and seems to ignore the filters I have set up in the "Setup Rule" section. 

Is there something I am missing? Or is it not possible currently to only close CTAs for users that have actually logged in?
I could use that, sure. 
Hi Manmeet - a couple thoughts here:

1 - you could use linked objects to link that specific CTA to the contact in question - https://support.gainsight.com/Product_Documentation/CTAS_Tasks_and_Playbooks/Admin_Configuration/Con... and then filter based on this data as part of your close process.

2 - you could create the CTA and include the name of the user in the CTA name (making it easier to see the user in Cockpit too)  and then when closing the CTA, selectively filter based on instances where the user's name (whose usage has improved) is in the CTA name. 

I believe either of these options would allow you to achieve what you're looking to accomplish. I like option 2 the best, personally. 🙂
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the suggestions! I will take a look into option 1 to see if that can work for our case here.

Regarding option 2, I actually do have their name already pulled in as a token into the CTA name. I then added criteria in the Close CTA section of the rule where the "CTA Name" contains "Name" (of that user). I just haven't been able to figure out how to avoid closing the CTAs for the other users at the same account. Currently, the rule will close the all CTAs for one account even if only 1 of those users logs back into our platform (while the other users are still dormant). This doesn't happen too often but with larger accounts I'd like to avoid this situation as it is more likely that there are multiple users that aren't using the product. 
Hi Manmeet - based on what you're describing around behavior for option 2, it sounds like the filters to select the correct CTAs for users that have recent activity might not be configured correctly. I'd take a look to ensure that you're only selecting the CTAs that specifically related to the users who have exited the dormant status. 
Hi Dan,

I am fairly confident that I have my filters configured correctly, at least to the extent of my knowledge. I ran this case request by the support team at Gainsight and they weren't able to configure this either. 

What it looks like to me is that the "Close CTA" option in the 'Setup Action' window of the rule builder completely ignores the filters/criteria that I have in the 'Setup Rule' window. 

I have to merge two datasets so that I have access to both the CTA name (from Call to Action object) and the Last Login Date (User Data MDA) for these users. Since, the Call to Action object has no way of telling if the user logged in or not. If there was a way for me to push the CTA information to the MDA table that contained the Last Login Data and have it actually tie into a specific user that would be great. However, from what I have read and been told, CTAs are created at the Account level and not the User level, so there isn't a unique identifier to associate this CTA with the User. There is nothing that I see within the CTA object that uniquely ties said CTA to a user.

In one dataset, I have the rule fetch only users that have logged into our platform with in the last x amount of days. While the other dataset task will fetch the CTA name. I then have to merge the datasets (since I can't merge on the user level, I have it merge based on the Owner or Account). Theoretically, this should only contain records with a login date in that time frame. However, when the rule actually runs to close the CTA, it will close ALL CTAs for an account (if they have multiple) even though only one of those users has actually logged in. This result occurs when I have additional criteria fields in the 'Close CTA' window that will say if "CTA Name" contains the "User name". Without this additional criteria, the rule will end up closing any CTA that matches 'Type', 'Reason', 'Source'. If I try using the 'CTA ID' option (with multiple different fields attempted at this point) and include that in the identifiers, then no CTA is closed out. 
Hi Manmeet, I had some more time to ponder on this one and did some testing too. I think what would be needed to enable this scenario to work is that when you create the CTA for a specific user, you'll need to associate this CTA with a contact. This will add the contact name to the CTA within the data, which you can then use later on when comparing users (contacts) that have logged into your platform. 

Specifically, you can set the criteria in the setup action for closing the CTA such that the Close CTA action will only take place if Contact Name = User Name. 

Also, make sure that you have "Include in identifiers" checked when selecting the CTA ID. This restricts the rule to mapping only with the CTA ID field. 
Hey Dan,

Thanks for the follow up and still looking into this for me. Appreciate all the support!

I will take a look and try to get this set up with the Contact attached to the CTA and see if that helps in closing the appropriate CTAs. Thanks again!