Solved

Using Variant Emails in Advanced Outreaches

• 12 October 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
  • Gainsight Employee: Golden Ruler
  • 318 replies
I have a customer who was sending NPS via Advanced Outreach. They had different variant emails based on language. When they sent the survey, they noticed only a few emails were sent.

This was due to confusing wording on the settings of the email in Advanced Outreaches.

This box wasn't checked but should have been:

The reason the they chose not to check the top box originally was because of the help text.

Skips sending the email for a recipient if the variant filter value is not matched, if this option is disabled otherwise default variant will be sent.
The wording is a little confusing. Also, what is disabled? Is it if the box is checked or unchecked?

Maybe a better way to phrase this would be:

If this option is checked, the default variant will be sent if the variant filter value does not have a match.
icon

Best answer by vinaykumar_konduri 13 October 2017, 06:54

View original

8 replies

Badge
My recommendation is that this box should be checked by default. 

The original use case for this feature was to send variations of emails based language. If an email template hasn't been built for a specific language then the default template should be sent in the default language.

I am not even sure that this checkbox is even required.  If filter criteria is not supplied for default then the default should be used if other variant criteria is not met.  And if filter criteria is set on the default then the email should not be sent if it doesn't match the default or other variant criteria. 
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Great point!

Another point is which one is default? Currently, it is the first one you create. I would suggest there should also be someone to either show the first one is the default one or be able to designate another email variant as default.
Hi,

We already have this in our list.  In Fall release, The checkbox will be checked by default and we will change the wording of the help text as well. 

Thanks,

Vinay
Even though the primary use case is language variants, We have provision to use different type of fields in variant filters ( Ex: Survey Score in Advanced outreaches). By providing the check box, We enabled the users to choose if they want to skip the emails if none of the filter criteria matches.

Regarding Default variant, The first variant is the default one. We will make a note of this and will improve the UX in future to make sure the default one looks different from other variants.

Thanks for the inputs.
Badge
If you don't want the default to be used then you could just add a filter criteria to it.  Otherwise, it is a catch-all "default".  It doesn't seem intuitive that you would would setup a default template that you never want to get used.
We can set the filter criteria to default as well. what i meant was, Lets say we have 3 variants(Including default) and have variant filter for all three. In case you want to skip sending email if none of the variant filters are met, This check box will be useful. 
Badge
Now that Gainsight allows for multiple criteria checks I see where this could give you an option on configuration however it could also be solved by order your variants in order of precedence (without requiring a this checkbox).
Badge
Great point Lane. I have ALWAYS been confused by that checkbox. I fact, its scared me off from doing some outreaches in AO versus the Standard Outreaches. I trust how the Standard ones work and have not had an issue understanding the configurations.

I look forward to this being clearer in the Fall release!