Question

Engagement Needs To be On Specific Page To Start

• 27 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

We have guide engagements that walk a user through a workflow and we want the user to be anywhere in the product when they ask to start the engagement (via KCB), but the walkthrough can really only start once they are on the right page with the available navigation that the engagement it tagged to.

The question comes down to: What is best practice for getting the user to the right page?

We can’t force them to the page and need them to select the page themselves (they need to select a record that they have access to). Gainsight has a way to tag a URL in a button and inform the user that you are going to take them somewhere but that is not possible for us. 

We are leaning toward starting the engagement with a small text box in the corner instructing them to navigate to the needed page. Configuring such that the text box is hopefully out of the way of navigation and enable them to navigate while keeping this reminder message on the screen that they need to go to the right page to begin the engagement. 

Optionally we have considered doing a handoff between engagements such that the first is the reminder of which page they need to go to, then have an automatic engagement trigger when they get to the right page. Doing this “hand off” between engagements could save a click for advancing the first message to then start the guide now that they are on the right page. 

All of this seems a bit over engineered and I wanted to see what others think of or have done for having their users navigate somewhere before starting an engagement. 

3 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi @ashton. If I’m understanding your question correctly, I think using the URL redirect for the engagement in the bot will accomplish what you need. 

Badge

Thanks Jay,

The problem with that is the page we want them to go to is a records page. They have to go to their available records that they have access to and select one. Once they do, then we could proceed with the guide to show them how to edit the record. So I don’t think we can just redirect them to a specific page. 

But it is good to have the documentation on how this redirect works. Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Ashton Can we break down the guide in two engagements where
first engagement is to take them to records page and ask them to access a record they have access to,
and the second engagement would trigger once the user completes the first engagement and clicks on the records button ui element (product mapper feature).