Allow edit to an S3 Dataset Task in Bionic Rules

Related products: None

Apparently once you create an S3 Dataset task, load the column details, and save it - you cannot edit it.

So if you realize you failed to include a column in the file you are attempting to import, you have to delete the dataset task and create a new one - unless I'm missing something key?

Sure would be easier if I could edit the existing one, re-load the column details and re-save.

Hi Jeff,

The rationale behind not allowing the user to edit the S3 file configuration once configured, is to freeze the S3 file format details as the edit might lead to rule failures if the format doesn't match. We have plans to update the S3 dataset task feature to allow the user to be able to add a new column (if that was missed in the first go) or to delete an existing column. Let me know if that will be helpful. Would love to hear more thoughts on that.

Regards,

Jitin
Thanks for the explanation Jitin. I appreciate you wanting to prevent admins from shooting themselves in the foot, but I think it’s more important to leave it to the admin’s judgment and allow the flexibility to adjust criteria as needed. A good admin will do the due diligence to ensure everything syncs up. Very similar with being unable to edit Query Builder in advanced outreach.
Jitin - Ran into another use case for being able to edit an S3 Dataset task:  Migration.

I migrated a rule that contains an S3 Dataset task to another SF environment - which has a different S3 bucket.  Since I cannot edit this Dataset task, I cannot alter the S3 bucket in this task.  And because this Rule has 3 different tasks 2 merges and 2 actions - I have to completely rebuild the rule.

So migrating it was pointless as I have to rebuild it anyway.  

Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand how frustrating it would have been. 

With September release(available to customers in October), S3 task in Bionic Rule can be edited/modified and new columns can also be configured(if needed). Hope that will solve this problem.

Regards,

Jitin
Hi All, this is fixed and available in October release.You can now edit the S3 file configuration section. 

Please refer the release notes for more information. 

Thanks for posting!​