Associate Object via another Associated Object - Use MDA Object

Related products: None

There is currently functionality to Associate Objects to Relationships via another Associated Object.  Two things that are problematic with this feature:

1. The name is misleading, as you aren't using other objects that you have already associated, as the prerequisite for an object to appear in this list is that the object must be in Salesforce, and it must have a lookup directly to the GS Relationship Object

2. The fact that this object must live within Salesforce severely limits the use of this feature.
My asks are this:

1. Rename the feature since it seems (at least the way I read it) that you can string together object associations (which would actually be awesome!)

2. Allow the object to live in MDA so that we can conveniently setup our own junction / mapping objects to help us associate data to Relationships easier.
Example use case:

• RelatiProduct Families

• Child data only contains Product names (no association to family) -- this might be present across many objects (Cases, Assets, etc.)

• In order to not have to put Product Family on each source object, we could use a mapping object with the following fields: GS Relationship Lookup, Product Name, Account Lookup

• This will allow us to associate Cases and Assets etc. by using this feature, and matching Product Name AND Account ID, without having to put Product Family on each object.
I feel that this could be one of the most widely used features in Relationship implementations if these objects could be stored in MDA, and were more easily understood.
TOTALLY.  We really need both MDA associations AND the multi-level associations, such as the product family scenario.  Manu has pushed hard on this one, too.  These are targets for the updated Relationships functionality.  
What kind of timeframe are we looking at for this (at least just the MDA object part)?
Pretty high priority post 6/30 but it will take several months most likely.  Also note that it will be part of the new Relationships object model in MDA, not the model in SFDC