Solved

Can you configure a conditional wait to trigger a follow up email if previous was unopened?

• 4 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello GS Community! 

I am struggling with configuring conditional waits. My intention was to have a follow up email sent three weeks after (21 days) to participants who did not open the original email. I added in the wait timer, adjusted the event fields to equal not opened after 21 days but when I ran the program, the follow up email was sent to all participants in the journey after 12 hours. So, all participants were sent both the original email and follow up email regardless of if they opened the email. 

Can anyone provide guidance here? 

Thanks,

Kaleigh 

icon

Best answer by matthew_lind 5 January 2023, 00:06

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @KaleighShields . Welcome to the Community, though I wish it was under better circumstances. I have a hunch, though I’d love to see some more experts weigh in too.

The culprit could be your Conditional Wait being set to “Email Not Opened” for 21 Days. Here’s why: A Conditional Wait gets evaluated every 11 hours, and repeats that evaluation for up to the Time Limit (in this case 21 days). So the Conditional Wait checks 11 hours after the first email is sent, and possibly every 11 hours thereafter until 21 days are passed.

For a Conditional Wait, if the Conditions within are TRUE when the evaluation occurs, then the Program advances your Participant to the next item to the right. In this scenario, your Participants haven’t opened the original email, and thus your Conditional Wait is TRUE (the original Email is not Opened), and they advance to the next step to the right, which may be your follow-up email. Given you stated the follow-up email went at 12 hours (which is suspiciously close to 11 hours, with a little wiggle room for queuing, processing, etc.), that could be it.

You may want to make your Conditional Wait be “Email Opened”, and then put your follow-up Email below your Conditional Wait. Then, the Program keeps watching for that email to be opened for up to 21 days. If 21 days passes and then email is still not opened (thus, your Conditional Wait is FALSE), then your Participant follows the path down (rather than the path to the right) and your follow-up email will trigger. 

Hi @matthew_lind! Thank you for the guidance and advice. I just tested that configuration and it worked!! 

Thanks again, 

Kaleigh 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@KaleighShields I love that news! Congrats on building yourself a better solution!