Solved

Engagement handling of unexpected event

• 23 June 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello, I’m looking to create an engagement guide that walks a user through a process that includes a search field. What I’m coming across is that if the search is successful and results are displayed, then the engagement continues. However, if there are no search results the engagement ends. Even if I search again and find results. Is there a way around this? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by link_black 24 June 2021, 03:09

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for posting @JaysonVester !

I recommend looking at the PX Admin Console → Engagement Monitoring results to see why the Engagement stopped/errored.  If it is on tooltip step, then it is mostly likely because the CSS selector used to place the tooltip is not included on the screen without results, but only on the screen with results. Once the Engagement stops/errors, it will not continue. See sample below.

To resolve this, either use a CSS selector for tooltips that is always present or opt for a dialog step instead.

Thanks for the response! So I tied the selector to a different object that shows regardless of search results. However, I want the user to be able to go back a step in the event there are no results. So I changed the interaction from next element to navigation bar with a “previous” step. When the step goes back and I search again, the step appears briefly, then flies off to the left of the screen. If I proceed with the steps the guide will (sometimes) continue. The error console doesn’t seem to see this as an error. 

Any ideas?