Chrome S3 Extension: Developed by Jithendranath Gupta Yenduri (Bangalore Office)

Related products: None

Consider using this Chrome extension over Cyberduck for your projects.  This was developed by one of our engineers, Jithendra, in Bangalore and good to get feedback on ease and suitability of purpose over Cyberduck.  We are looking to confirm as Gainsight Open Source but that is pending confirmation by the review board.  In the meantime, try it out!

It can be downloaded from URL: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/s3/dbcicnhojccpninljlaphamnljlmffdj

Features

1) Test whether authentication is successful or not.

2) Upload files to Amazon S3.

3) Download files from Amazon S3.

4) Delete files in the Amazon S3 bucket.

5) Uses Amazon Signature based URL's to connect to S3 and every Signature expires after corresponding action is completed.

6) Handle multiple connections. 

7) Access Key and Secret Token are associated with a bucket.

😎 All the connection information is stored in "chrome-storage".

9) Easy switching between connections.
Cool!  Just tried it out and it's easier than configuring Cyberduck.

I'll cover this in Training material as an option.  Would be really neat if we could include this kind of functionality directly within Gainsight too!
Hi Ashok -

This is really super cool! 

User friendly

Very easy to establish connections

Easy to UPLOAD/DOWNLOAD/DELETE the files

Swapping to connections is simple

(Just) Improvements required: CLOSE button

Currently, it doesn't allow to close out the connection - only either CONNECT/DELETE.

I feel, with no doubt, can publish.

Thanks for sharing!

Best RegardsRoja Surekha Kode | Customer Success Architect | Gainsight
Thanks Ashok for sharing the feedback, the updated version of plugin is available live with minor bug fixes and enchancements, suggested by the folks in bangalore.

Folks who downloaded the plugin before the current update, will be updated automatically. If it doesn't update automatically because of some browser settings.

Follow the steps.

Step 1: In browser navigate to  chrome://extensions/

Step 2:  Click the button "update extensions now"

Done 

How to know whether we have latest update or not ?

After connecting to a bucket, you would be seeing the connection name on the top left corner. Please see the attachement, here "My new s3"  is connection name I

have given while configuring the setup.

From Brent:

FYI, for loading files into S3. 

I set this up for our Standard Demo org S3 connector and it works well. The one piece to know is the when setting up the connection, the Bucket Name is the path without the leading "s3://". For example, the path for the standard demo org is s3://gsext-oteibtyacch09awccs4nsah7bv/ and the name in the connection details should be gsext-oteibtyacch09awccs4nsah7bv.

Great work Jithendra, this is super helpful and much easier than Cyberduck!

Brent
Hello

I just tried doing this for Cloudera and am running into issues.

It uploads the file into a strange file path.  If I try to go down the normal path (MDA-Data-Ingest/), the file isn't there.  But if I go down the new path (/), i find the file.  But I can't get the S3 connector to see that file.

Thoughts?

Issue potentially resolved by Jithendranath. 

Key here is, when copying over the S3 bucket, do not include any "/".  Brent, via Denise, mentioned not having the leading "S3://", but also do not include the post "/".
Hi Christoper,

I think your adding an extra "/" while entering the bucketname in your configuration, drop that connection and try re configuring again. Let me know if you still face any problems.

Should we include this suggestion publicly?  Has this worked well enough to encourage use of this over Cyberduck?
I'm including this in Training and thinking about nixing a review of setup via Cyberduck (unless, of course, someone asks).  The S3 Extension works very well.

Hi Team, 

Any idea why Chrome extension link is not working anymore? Do we have any alternative ?

Best,

hardik

Hi Team.

Mee too facing issue with the chrome extension link. I am able to connect to the S3 bucket, but when I am trying to upload the files it is not uploading. Any idea on this.