Timeline activity vs. Milestone

Related products: None

As I am becoming more fluent in posting timeline activities, I am finding that several activities could actually be considered a milestone and thus a redundancy is being created. Has anyone else discovered this and what is your experience/best practice for choosing which option to select and track. Secondly, are your CSMs being measured on either and if so, what are your benchmarks? Thank you in advance!!
Hi Roxanne,

There certainly is some potential overlap with those features even though they do serve primary goals that are a little different. Timeline is primarily a note taking solution while Milestones is primarily for noting key events. 

In the scenario where you have a Timeline event type that is ALSO a Milestone worthy event, you can write a quick rule to automatically drop a Milestone whenever a Timeline event of that type is created. See sample rule action below:

This is one of the powerful ways that reporting and automation triggers off of Timeline enable you to do so much more than with any other note taking platform!
Hi Roxanne,

The plan is to merge milestones with timeline and make milestone as an activity type. Once we implement this, all existing milestones will be available in the timeline automatically. ETA is early 2018.

Thanks,

Nitisha
Thank you so much Nitisha, appreciate the update! Do you by chance know what version of Gainsight this will be made available?  Thank you again! Roxanne
Hi Roxanne,

Tentatively this should be available in Feb 2018. I will keep you posted once I have more updates.

Thanks,

Nitisha
Thank you Nitisha!!
What would be the object we need to use to write the rule for?  Im having trouble with bother Activitylog and Activity History
Hi Elizabeth, the object you want as the source object is Activity Timeline.
Looking forward to it!
That's great news! Looking forward to this release.
which release will this be in?
I was just looking in my timelines for milestones and found this post when seeking info.  Has this been released or is it anticipated soon?  
Hey Nitisha,

Any update on when merging Milestones and Timeline will be available?
This would also be beneficial for us. Any update on ETA? Thanks.