Salesforce Connector: Include detail of what happened in the logs even when successful

Related products: None

I was hoping that when SF Connector replaced Gainsight Connect, it would also include information about WHAT records were pulled in by the jobs, as Gainsight Connect did not. That does not appear to be the case.

As I previously stated on that post:

"Sometimes you run into situations where something was a 'success' but it didn't perform the action you actually expected it to OR there was an issue of timing and you need to go back and track down where the disconnect happened. Success or Failure, we should always be able to track events that happened in detail."

@sumesh

Hi Jeff,

Downloading success records is in our roadmap. Implementation is not straightforward and might take some time. I will get back with an ETA by the end of next month. 

Thanks!

Sumesh  

Hi @sumesh - 4 months ago you said you’d get back to me with an ETA by the end of the month.  Any updates?  Also, it would be incredibly helpful to have more details in the log queue as jobs are running to indicate what’s happening (similar to how the Cross-Org Migration real time process log functions).  

This morning at 7:15 I manually launched a User sync for any records that have changed since last sync.  It is still running 30 minutes later.  But yesterday I manually launched it for ALL records and it only took 4 minutes.  More info would be useful to help admins know where in the process the job is and help determine if perhaps it is “stuck” and need support from GS.

@darkknight ,

We’re working on better status updates on the logs page (especially to let you know if a job is stuck or to abort the job after a critical error)  and you’ll see incremental enhancements in that regard. We’re not in a place where we can show log queues yet but we’re working on eliminating situations where the jobs are endlessly stuck with no insight on the UI logs.

Outside of this though, we’re also in the process of redesigning our UX and include enhancements like giving the “source” records so you know which records where pulled in. The work on this is currently ongoing and planned for late Q1/ early Q2.

Thanks,

Kunal

@kunal_bhat @minh_phan would it be possible for me to see what your anticipated design looks like to give feedback/input?  This is a pretty crucial need - as it’s incredibly hard to troubleshoot when data isn’t mapped as expected.  I think it would be good for you to have end user input into your design.

I was hoping that when SF Connector replaced Gainsight Connect, it would also include information about WHAT records were pulled in by the jobs, as Gainsight Connect did not. That does not appear to be the case.

"Sometimes you run into situations where something was a 'success' but it didn't perform the action you actually expected it to OR there was an issue of timing and you need to go back and track down where the disconnect happened. Success or Failure, we should always be able to track events that happened in detail."

+1.

Definitely helps a lot if we could able to get the records that are pulled by the connector.

'

"Sometimes you run into situations where something was a ''success'' but it didn''t perform the action you actually expected it to OR there was an issue of timing and you need to go back and track down where the disconnect happened. Success or Failure, we should always be able to track events that happened in detail."

+1.

Definitely helps a lot if we could able to get the records that are pulled by the connector.

same request from you.

'

Seeing the data step by step through merges and transformations in the rules engine is amazing. We really need this functionality for connectors too. It makes troubleshooting so difficult! If I could see the data I’d know what was happening. Right now it’s a lot of guesswork and is so much more time-consuming than it needs to be.

This x1000!

EUREKA! Horizon Connectors provides this capability!

EUREKA! Horizon Connectors provides this capability!

@darkknight - It does? I don’t see where to actually download results? I see the following screenshot but as far as I can tell, no hyperlink to download individual jobs’ files like I need. 

@spencer_engel Well, it appears I was only looking at jobs that had PARTIAL_SUCCESS and made a broad assumption.

When I download the logs from a PARTIAL_SUCCESS, it contains all the records from the input as well as the Error Report.  Which proves that it IS possible.  They just aren’t including it with all Successes. 

(sidebar: I still argue PARTIAL_SUCCESS is a misnomer - it should be PARTIAL_FAILURE.  If something didn’t fully succeed, then it failed to do what it was intended)

Wow, so I guess I need to somehow intentionally fail one of my records. :confused:

@spencer_engel , @darkknight , we will soon be coming up with execution logs for jobs at high level (task level logs like in rules may not be possible because of the difference in architecture) and test run (with data preview). These are in our short term roadmap.