Solved

Text-To-Columns for Journey Orchestrator

• 17 September 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Good Morning-

We're just about to launch our first e-mail series via Journey Orchestrator, and a new request came in from our CCO.  

He wants to use just our CSM's first name as a Token-ized field.

I have the full CSM name ingested but am not sure how to pull just the CSM's first name out of that text string.

Is there a function similar to Excel's "Text to Column", where I can transform that field and use the space between First Name and Last Name to parse out the First Name?

Thanks!

-Jim
icon

Best answer by dan_ahrens 21 September 2018, 00:15

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
One idea, which may only work if you haven't started / published your JO Program and depends some on the configuration of what you've already built in JO and in Gainsight Connect.

Instead of trying to parse out the first name from the Full Name, just bring in the First Name in its own field. This is often possible by using the "Bionic Query" capabilities and the "User" object in the MDA. The "User" object represents your Salesforce users (and presumably all of your CSMs are Salesforce users). You can join the User object to your existing query, and make the "First Name" field in your query.

This can be nice, especially if you have any users with a "two-part" first name where parsing on a space will give you an unexpected result. For example, if your CSM's name is "Jane Marie Smith" and she goes by "Jane Marie", parsing on a space and getting "Jane" as a result is probably not what you want, but it's likely Jane Marie has input her name into her Salesforce User record as she wants to be known.

Were it my Program, I'd likely try to get the First Name as its own field instead of trying to find it via parsing, as I think it will be more sturdy for the long haul.

Userlevel 3
Badge
Thanks Matthew.

Would this work with Outreaches and updating the data ingest to include from the 'User' object?

Thanks

-Jim
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
With the caveat that "it always depends on your particular configuration", your idea should work.

Put another way, I have done exactly what you're seeking, getting my CSMs' First Names from the 'User' object and dropping it via Token into an email template in my JO Programs.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi Matthew-

I'm struggling to get this ingested properly.  I updated my ingest rule to include the appropriate CSMs but cannot figure out how to map these people to the Products Relationship Contact data space.  

Since the data is being pulled in via the User object, I cannot add these to the Products Relationship Contact data space.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

-Jim
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Jim...always an adventure, right?

My suggestion works best if you are using a Journey Orchestrator Program, and you are using the Query Builder to select your Participants. In that scenario, you get a "Bionic Rules"-like interface to select your participants, and you can then grab datasets from Salesforce and/or MDA and Merge them on common fields. A Data Space likely doesn't get you the results you seek because (and you know this already) you cannot combine SFDC data with MDA data within a Data Space.

I do wonder, however, if you can still try the Data Space route. Does your SFDC configuration have the CSM's First Name in its own field? If so, you could trek into your Data Space, pull the CSM (sounds like you already have the CSM full name) and add the field for First Name to the Data Space .
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Jim, are you using a powerlist or a bionic query to set your participant data? Powerlists will give you limitations but with a bionic query you can get as creative as you need to be as long as there is some fragment of data that links the two (or more) data objects that you want to merge into a table of participant data.

https://support.gainsight.com/Journey_Orchestrator_and_Email/Programs/Adding_Participants_to_a_Progr...