"Fatigue Control" Logic Built into Journey Orchestrator

Related products: None

As we begin to go live with many different campaigns being sent out of Journey Orchestrator -- we have become increasingly concerned with inundating our customers with email touch points without even knowing it. With multiple programs running in parallel for different purposes -- we are worried that numerous automated campaigns may have the same individual kicked into them at once when they meet the campaign's conditions to begin.

It would be nice to have some sort of logic built into the system that recognizes "Bob has received emails from the 'Renewals' and 'Feature Adoption' programs today -- let's hold off on sending anymore to Bob until tomorrow even if he has emails queued up and ready to be sent to him today"

This would be super helpful I think, it could also help with response rate. If a customer gets 5 emails a day they might just push them off rather than reading. Great idea!

Hi Drew,

I haven't explicitly tested this exact scenario, but you could add as part of your bionic query a check against the email logs object to only include contacts where the most recent automated email from specific program types was sent more than X number of days ago.

Ooooo this is very interesting Dan -- thanks for this idea. I'll look to test this out the next chance I get

Great idea, Dan!

I hear you! We manage this through a tightly controled communication plan - in our case, we avoid sending more than 2 emails a week. To respect that, when the communication schedule gets busier, we increasingly move away from Power lists to get into the use of the less friendly Query Builder mailings. Enhancements for this control as well as improving Query Builder reporting/troubleshooting (I did create a previous wish list for QB/rules) would be welcome!

@piyushmadhukar / @abhishek_sivaraman

I just added this logic to Program to filter out Participants for a particular use case that have been sent an email from any similiar Program in the last 11 months.

Our future - we will be building a Bionic Rule to calculate total sends per contact from Gainsight, Marketo, and other sources and populate an MDA table to use. We'll then upsert that back to the SFDC Contact record so that our other email sends outside of Gainsight can fitler off the same numeric value.

I'm still hoping Gainsight moves to having inclusion/exclusion queries within the participants configuration screen. Having to add a dataset to exclude contacts - and then merge them - in the same fashion across all programs is redundant.