Question

Rules

• 11 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, everyone!

I am new to GainSight and I have to create a rule that populates a currency field on the Company Object with data that comes from SFDC. However, there other existing rules that populate that very same currency field. The object where the data should be fetched in SFDC is different from the one in the current active rules, so I don’t believe editing is possible.

Will the new rule override the other rules? How can I approach this?

Thank you!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Manoel, and welcome to the Community. I’m glad you’re here.

If I’ve read your question well, you have an existing rule that’s populating data from a currency field in a SFDC Object to a currency field in a Gainsight Object. You’re now interested in reconfiguring so the source of truth in SFDC is a different field in a different object.

If that’s accurate, then you’re right that editing the existing rule may be tricky, mostly because a fair amount of de-construction is required to change a fetch. More often than not, it’s easier and less error-prone to write a new rule.

If you write a new rule for the new source of truth, and do nothing else, then your existing rule and your new rule will BOTH run, and they may “compete” with each other. A new rule will not override an existing rule; your Gainsight data may appear to flip back and forth depending on which rule ran most recently. You may want to disable your existing rule so it no longer runs, leaving your new rule as the only rule updating your desired source field.

Another potential option, depending on your configuration, is to use the SFDC Connector to ingest data from SFDC to Gainsight. Because you are attempting to update the Gainsight Company object, this works well if your source data is a field on the SFDC Account object. The Salesforce Connector operates well when dealing with “pairs” of objects that correspond between the two systems.

If this is helpful, awesome. If you still have some questions, drop them here in the thread. We’re a friendly and helpful bunch.

Userlevel 1

This was very helpful, Matthew.

Thank you!