New field type suggestion: Version

Related products: None

Software versioning (of format xx.xx.xx.xx) has well known, and relatively standardized, schema, yet it cannot be intelligently used as a datapoint within Gainsight. The only way to ingest a software/hardware/product version at this time is as a string, which means you cannot identify, for a customer who has multiple copies of the same software installed, what their highest version or lowest version is using the rules engine.

The only way to do this kind of comparison at this time is by maintaining a separate table of software versions associated with a numerical identifer, or by sending over a numerical version number with the standard version number. Either of these solutions would typically require assistance from a Product or Engineering team.

The least that we could do is give the ability to identify that one release is "greater" than another, which we cannot currently do, since String fields are sorted alphabetically, rather than numerically. This would require establishing a new field type in the MDA that can store software version (with max number of decimals specified in the field configuration), with a limited set of calculations available for that field type in the rules engine (min/max/count).

I had to implement something similar. The solution was to maintain an additional table that mapped the numbered version to an arithmetic version number, so it was possible to score a customer based on how many versions there were behind the current release.

Having a field like this would have made my job much, much easier.

I had to implement something similar. The solution was to maintain an additional table that mapped the numbered version to an arithmetic version number, so it was possible to score a customer based on how many versions there were behind the current release.

Having a field like this would have made my job much, much easier.

This is exact use case I was thinking about this morning. We really need something like this in the product. 

This would be awesome.

We’ve had to do emails announcing major upgrades (1.x to 2.x) with variants depending on which main version number clients had. Our solution was to use one of our fields like so “Active Integrations Last 7 days → sting”, and say “contains” ____.

Being able to map those fields to a version number would be fantastic!

Ugh, can’t edit my comment above -- what I meant to say was:

Having a version-type field would be fantastic.