Trigger rule (chain) after successful data load

Related products: None

We've migrated our data loads

to S3 and one of the nice features there is the ability to load the data

whenever a new file is loaded up. So if the database team changes the run time

or there's just a 1-off delay my file still gets processed.

But... I still have to run some enrichment on the file to map to accounts and

relationships. That's all done with rules (conveniently chained together!) and

scheduled at a specific time.

I think we've talked about post-action events before... this seems like another

good example of where a "post data load rule trigger" would be great.

I could do my aggregations and then even let CSMs know of any significant

events as soon as the data was available.

Absolutely planned Jeff.  

A follow up set of questions to understand your use cases (and others please chime in as well):

1.  Would One Data Load -> One Rule Chain meet most of your use cases?

2.  Do you see a need in your environment for Multiple Data Loads -> One Rule Chain?

3.  Do you see a need for One Data Load -> Multiple Rule Chains?
In addition to questions from Denise, what other functionalities/features would be preferred to run post a data load? Running a rule/rule chain with variants as mentioned above, any other functionality in the product - triggering a CTA, generating a report? Additional inputs welcome.
I suspect the key question is whether it's one rule chain or many. Hopefully there wouldn't be a restriction on having multiple loads trigger the same rule chain.

I can't imagine why I'd need multiple rule chains. Presumably I'd just make one larger rule chain! However, that does touch on the current limit of a rule only being in one chain... 😉
I'd expect to trigger any of those through the rule. However, I do think that aggregations (if/as needed) could be another triggered action. Perhaps even one that should complete before the rules are invoked.
Got it. Thanks Jeffrey.
@Jeffrey, rule chain has a limit of 20 rules at the moment. Although it should be enough, in [i]theory someone might need more than 1 rule chain.

@Denise, multiple data loads -> one rule chain might be something we could benefit of. However instead of connecting multiple data loads to one rule chain I think we might simply trigger a rule chain from the last or largest data load job. That could work.

Oh and I almost forgot to ask - are those features planned only for the S3 or will it be available for Data Load API as well?
Any update on this?

I am trying to trigger a rule (or a rule chain) after data is loaded from S3.

I see there is no such capability in the Connector so I'm trying to use the S3 dataset feature of the RulesEngine but there doesn't seem to be a way to trigger another rule once that rule is complete.

You can put your rule in a rule chain. https://support.gainsight.com/Rules_Engine/Admin_Guides/Rule_Chain

Yes. But you can't trigger that rule chain from S3 upload as far as I can see.

Or is there a way?

You can make the rule a Parent and make all your other rules children of that Parent in the rule chain. As I understand it, if the Parent rule doesn't complete its run successfully, the child rules won't run. (I have not tried this myself).

But if you're expecting the S3 file upload to be the catalyst to run the entire rule chain, that doesn't appear to be possible yet. You can configure a rule to run when the data file gets uploaded to S3 using the Event trigger S3 Schedule type - but as of now, that rule cannot be added to a rule chain.

Fair warning: the S3 event trigger does not provide notifications - so if the rule fails, you get no email.