US Admin Office Hours (Tuesday session) - 10/10/23 - 1pm PT / 2pm MT / 3pm CT / 4pm ET - Pre-session Thread

• 10 October 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hello everyone!

This thread is for our upcoming Tuesday Admin Office Hours session today, Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 1pm PT / 2pm MT / 3pm CT / 4pm ET.

Please submit your questions below as replies to this post in advance if you can, and we'll address them during the session (or if there’s a quick answer available, we’ll post as replies to the questions).

There is no need to register for these sessions - you can join at any time. Once the session is underway, I will go in order of questions posted below first, then field questions from anybody else who has joined as well. Look forward to talking with you!

Conference Details (Zoom):

Tuesday, October 10, 2023 at 1pm PT / 2pm MT / 3pm CT / 4pm ET

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://gainsight.zoom.us/j/92085010484?pwd=UWo1Wkd1eWhEVmdTZHlyakdtYkpSdz09

Meeting ID: 920 8501 0484

Password: 301543

For dial-in info by your location, find your local number: 

https://gainsight.zoom.us/u/addOPjzrlv

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Could I get a quick answer on Group Emails? Looking to send one later this week off of a CSV, using the SFDC Account ID to determine group replies. We’ve never used the simple programs before, and ideally would run it using a query. Data Designer hasn’t worked for me in the past, so current plan would be to run the query as a participant preview in the current advanced JO program builder, download the resulting CSV, and use that in the simple program with the fields we need in the emails (will be very token-heavy).

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Scott - we’re struggling to be able to report on Salesforce objects that are part of a managed package (specifically, Community - the objects include Network Members, User Feed, and Comments). I was hoping you might be able to help us or at least advise what we need to ask from our SFDC admin in order to report on these objects in Gainsight.

Badge

Hi Scott, I have questions today on 3 topics:

1. “Set Score” action in the rules engine (Horizon) allows the option to log a comment into the Timeline once the score is updated. When I do this, the new Timeline entry appears in the scoring UI, but not in the Timeline in C360.

2. Dropdown dependencies. Can a single dependent dropdown have 2 controller fields, is this supported? I’m hesitant to try it out because you can’t remove a dropdown dependency once you’ve added it. I already tried it and there is no “remove” option, and the online docs confirm it. My use case: in Relationship I have a product version dropdown whose values should display or hide depending on what is selected in both the Product Family and License Type fields.

3. I have a new project coming up in which users need to log “service credits” which get subtracted from the account’s monthly max service credits allotment. I think this can be logged either from the Timeline (we’ve discussed this design approach in a previous office hours meeting) or as a Relationship. Could you discuss if there are specific pro’s and con’s or gotcha’s to either approach?
Badge

Hi Scott, any major limitations on using JO to email SFDC Contacts that do not have GS Person or Company records associated with them? At some point a concern was raised that it would create person/company person records if they didn’t previously exist, but I haven’t seen that happen in testing.

Badge

One new item. I know an admin can define a custom filter for Timeline that is available to all users, but I’ve hunted and searched in the admin screens and I can’t figure out where to configure this. Can you guide me?

One new item. I know an admin can define a custom filter for Timeline that is available to all users, but I’ve hunted and searched in the admin screens and I can’t figure out where to configure this. Can you guide me?

@justo.casablanca Oddly enough I don’t think it’s in the admin section for Timeline - I’m pretty sure these views are configured by admins on the Global Timeline section within the dropdown

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @spencer_engel -- pretty sure you’ve got 2 options, both involving SFDC Admin help:

1. Grant the OAuth user a license to the managed package and the permissions associated with it -- that’s the easy way to make it work in terms of access, but I don’t know off the top of my head if the reports can be created directly from there and viewed by the end users on the GS side.  I don’t think they can unless they are licensed for the package as well -- meaning you’ll have to run this via Data Designer or a Rules-maintained custom object.

2. The other option requires that the SFDC Admins do all the heavy lifting -- but I’ve seen it in other SFDC instances -- create an SFDC custom object to be a non-managed repository of the data in the Managed Package objects.  Then you can build reports directly on that object for hybrid users in GS to view.

Hope that helps in terms of a “quick answer” -- see you on the session with any follow-ups later today!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @spencer_engel -- pretty sure you’ve got 2 options, both involving SFDC Admin help:

1. Grant the OAuth user a license to the managed package and the permissions associated with it -- that’s the easy way to make it work in terms of access, but I don’t know off the top of my head if the reports can be created directly from there and viewed by the end users on the GS side.  I don’t think they can unless they are licensed for the package as well -- meaning you’ll have to run this via Data Designer or a Rules-maintained custom object.

2. The other option requires that the SFDC Admins do all the heavy lifting -- but I’ve seen it in other SFDC instances -- create an SFDC custom object to be a non-managed repository of the data in the Managed Package objects.  Then you can build reports directly on that object for hybrid users in GS to view.

Hope that helps in terms of a “quick answer” -- see you on the session with any follow-ups later today!

Thanks @sdrostgainsightcom, this is great. I actually met with my SFDC team earlier too, so between that meeting and your response, I think I can skip today’s session and concede my time to someone else. 

Badge

I haven’t seen the US office hours announcement for today (Thursday 12-Oct-2023), will there be one?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Thank you for the reminder, @justo.casablanca -- thought I’d already taken care of posting a new thread for today’s session but no, obviously not!

Just posted the new thread here:

See you in an hour!