Allow configurability of progress bar in KPI widgets

Related products: CS Reports & Dashboards

The new KPI widget feature of a dynamic goal introduced the option to choose between “Variance” or “Progress” for displaying the goal. This is great, but one of the downsides is this new progress bar is added to the widget whether or not you want it there.

Here’s why this is annoying:

1. If I choose Variance, I’m already seeing how far off or ahead of my goal I am in the “variance” section. This additional bar added makes the widget more “busy”
  2. There is no configuration available for the progress bar. I can’t change the color, I can’t remove it, I can’t make it smaller. If I choose a KPI widget, it will be there no matter what.

While it’s a nice feature, can we please give more options for the admin to choose how, if at all, it is displayed? 

Agreed. We just discovered that even marking a KPI report as a Negative KPI, only the Variance arrow turns red, but the Goal Exceeded indicator remains green, which can be deceiving since Green tends to indicate good/positive. 

Agree
This is extremely annoying and even a misleading visual cue. The response we got is that it can’t be configurable/variable… so until they can provide better customization options, could the goal exceeded indicator at least be a neutral color to avoid confusion? Not one that is used throughout the platform as a synonym for "good"?
This is bad design, simple as that.

Getting some designer 👀 on this thread @rishikesh.khumkar 

After some back and forth trying to explain the issues with this widget (#276235) and requesting at least a different colour for the text and progress bar, support confirmed this AM:

Hello Romi,

I worked with our internal teams and our engineering confirmed that for now, it is an enhancement request but they understood and identified the visualisation issues and they are
already planning to fix this issue. We are fixing it ( should be released by this /next week)

The  new approach  is
1) We will use the term " Goal Surpassed " for both positive and negative KPI
2) The colour of the bar ( in case the current value exceeds the goal will be red and green for negative and positive KPI respectively.

@Corey Popp @romihache .We have modified how we handle the scenario when KPI report value is greater than set Goal  . (Agree completely that the previous handling was not optimal) . 

Positive KPI ( Report Value > Goal)

Negative KPI ( Report Value > Goal)

Thanks @Prateek Parashar !
I noticed in one of our dashboards that this widget was already fixed and forgot to comment here

Hi @sarahmiracle  

If I choose Variance, I’m already seeing how far off or ahead of my goal I am in the “variance” section. This additional bar added makes the widget more “busy”

This was done to give an intuitive visual cue in addition to what can be inferred directly from the numbers. And to confirm, you believe the bar makes widget more “ busy” for both progress and variance scenarios,? Is this driven by a need to make KPI widget size small to have more KPI reports in a layout/dashboard or just in general you see this as nuisance?

There is no configuration available for the progress bar. I can’t change the color, I can’t remove it, I can’t make it smaller. If I choose a KPI widget, it will be there no matter what.

Yes, there is no configuration available now  for progress and it will be always there. We will analyze further on this ask.  

Hi @sarahmiracle  

Thanks for putting this post out, 
As we discussed, can you help me socialize this problem in our company by having you shoot a short video on loom and share it privately with me at osweiry@gainsight.com?

Thanks!

Please allow us to add and remove the progress bar in KPI widgets! All of our KPI widgets on our Home page were originally showing the older (and more preferred) style, but when opening any of them up in Report Builder to edit the settings, clicking on the settings cog automatically switches the KPI to the updated version where the progress bar exists. The only way to prevent this change from sticking is if you click the “x” in the top right of the builder. Clicking on anything else seems to save the progress bar which then becomes irreversible since we currently have no way of removing it.

How is it possible that you can’t undo the KPI widget settings? Horrible design. I was just playing around with it and decided against using either “dynamic” or “static” goal, but once you choose one of those two radio buttons, you’re apparently stuck with it??

So then if you have that widget on a dashboard, success snapshot, etc., you have to remove it, rebuild the widget (and make sure not to configure KPI widget this time!) and then replace it in all the areas where that widget exists. This is the kind of anti-admin Quality of Life stuff that wears on us.