Layout Types? User Experience and Business Usage

• 14 September 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Testing this out has led me down a mind maze here so hopefully this is easy enough to follow and there’s likely more to unpack but I wanted to get a conversation started at least:

My first thought was that having different layouts for goals would be useful from an end-user perspective:

• At launch there are a number of fields that cannot be removed or changed, some of which make sense, but others for us add some clutter as not all goals may need a “Relationship” or “Opportunity” field.
  • Many Gainsight areas allow for different “layouts” so that you can add fields that are relevant to a specific type of process not clutter a “layout” for another process that are less relevant. 

Think Timeline Activity types - if you had 15 timeline types with 20 fields unique among them, if you only had the option of one layout you’d have 20 extra fields whenever you made a Timeline entry. Not ideal for end users.

I can see something similar happening here. As you build out your goal library you may not need the same fields for all Goal “templates” you create. I may have created 10 goals for my end-users, but they all look the same except for some pre-populated data they can change anyways (which I will get to later), but not every field will likely be useful for every one of those goals.

This becomes more important when trying to answer the question - what is the point of making more than one “Goal Template” right now?

• As an end-user: 
    • I could freely select from any available goal template and change anything about them that I want. So as an end-user maybe I select the wrong one. No big deal! I just edit whatever I want and slap it in the C/R360. There’s no decision making required on what to select, unlike a CTA or Timeline Activity type that is contextual in a more permanent way. If I select the incorrect CTA, I don’t have the right fields or maybe I won’t be able to flag risk properly. There’s no investment in following a particular prescribed business process that a template would normally provide right now.
    • There’s also less of a reason not just to create my own goal, which sort of undercuts the utility of having a library. If I have a library goal of “Reduce Time to Value”, I might just make my own “Reduce TTV” goal that is really the same thing, but lacks any standardization that pulling one from the library might bring.
    • The UI itself makes the library a bit of an afterthought rather than putting it at the forefront to prompt users to select something already built for them.

• For the business: 
    • These create a bit of a problem if I want to track how often specific “Goal templates” are being used and collect actual data on what goals and templates my customers have, how they are used, etc. If there’s no way within the system to programmatically “incentivize” my end-users to follow a specific process (e.g, at least require they select the correct layout to have certain fields visible) then the quality of your data will take a serious nose dive.
    • End-users who selected the ‘wrong’ template may over inflate my usage data for a particular template, and under inflate others.
    • If we have a KPI around usage of specific goals for customers with certain products, if end-users are constantly selecting the ‘wrong template’ and just fixing it, how can we get accurate reporting without more manual intervention?

The general concept of “template” vs “custom” I think is generally sound. From the business side I want a consistent, scalable and repeatable library of goals my users can draw from where they can create an instance of that goal for there customers as many times as they need.

As a user, I want an easy way to create and manage the goals of my customers. If they have a specific goal that isn’t captured in the library, I want a way to still capture that.

However, I just don’t know that what I’m seeing executes on that in a way that enables a business to get real valuable insights without additional layers of customization to get the capabilities this seems to hint at but not provide a way to deliver on.

9 replies

Badge +4

Many of these points will also ring true for our org and the way we would utilize this feature.  Having goals that are admin created and where the configuration is not editable, then custom goals that are fully customizable would be ideal. 

The fields that cannot be removed, especially relationship fields for orgs not using business modeler/relationships would be really nice.  There is a lot of wasted visual real estate. 

Badge

Ability to remove relationship and opportunity fields from goal detail view will be implemented. Non removable fields will be status and due date. 

The points on different layouts specific to type of goal make sense. It is similar to CTA type or success plan type. One of the MVP assumptions was that organisations might not need/have different kinds/types of customer goals (unlike type of CTAs/Success-plans). Would you be able to share an example of different types of Customer Goals that might be tracked and the fields which might be relevant to one type but not the other. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Ability to remove relationship and opportunity fields from goal detail view will be implemented. Non removable fields will be status and due date. 

The points on different layouts specific to type of goal make sense. It is similar to CTA type or success plan type. One of the MVP assumptions was that organisations might not need/have different kinds/types of customer goals (unlike type of CTAs/Success-plans). Would you be able to share an example of different types of Customer Goals that might be tracked and the fields which might be relevant to one type but not the other. 

I don’t really understand your response. Was something not clear in my above explanation on why templates as they are aren’t compelling, but how a layout type similar to a CTA would be?

It’s not just about unique fields, it’s about having a meaningful difference between templates so that reporting on the usage of a template, and tying actual meaning to one template vs another have some utility to the business.

Badge

We are evaluating Goal types and layouts for the roadmap. The usecase of goal types is similar to that of CTA or success plan types

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Opened up this discussion from the Customer Goals Beta to Public.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I would agree with @bradley here.  We have a defined set of Goals that we’ve created in the library that we would ideally have be the first thing people see versus the custom goal form.  Admin would be able to set the default for that section to show the Goals Library instead of new goal and potentially even disable the ability to create a goal outside of the library at all.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Had a another thought come up here as well - we’d like the ability to configure the list view of the Goals Library as well.  It appears as though I can’t add the Description field into that display, and for our teams, that would helpful.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

HEAVY YES to have the goal library be the default landing page! Giving the CSMs the ability to create their own goals will be a reporting nightmare, and it adds more work to Ops to ensure folks are using the function correctly.  I hate the pattern of introducing a new feature, saving time, but then that time saved is being used now to monitor and track :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Also linking your post @andorfuhrer