Solved

Calculating Open Rates on CoPilot Outreaches

• 27 February 2018
  • 4 replies

I'm working to develop a best practice for calculating the 'open rate' for our email outreaches run through CoPilot, but I'm seeing a few inconsistensies with the data. Ideally, this would be calculated automatically, but that's another request. 

I find there are several methods of calculating the open rate;

1. dividing the aggregated "sum of opened" by the aggregated "sum of sent" x100

2. dividing the aggregated "sum of opened" by the aggregated "count_distinct of email addresses" x100

3. calculating the "count_distinct of emails" number twice, by running the data set twice. First, finding the total number of distinct email addresses. Second, adding a filter for "opened = 1" to find the total number of distinct email addresses that have been marked as having opened the email. I divide the second number into the first number to find the open rate. 

Of these three methods, number 3 seems the most accurate, but requires running the dataset twice. All three methods result in slightly different numbers, with variances ranging of around 1%. What is the source of truth?
icon

Best answer by abhishek_sivaraman 3 March 2018, 06:48

View original

4 replies

Hi Alison,

The third one is the most accurate one since you are ensuring that you dont double account. If you were to account for the bounced emails as well and subtract from the emails sent count, the email open rate will increase a little bit and that will be the most accurate definition of email open rate.

Email Open Rate = Email Opened / (Email Sent - (Bounced+Rejected))

Thanks

Abhishek S
Badge
I agree Alison! And thanks for the thought Abhishek. Is there a long-term plan to make an update of the nature you describe right in the product?

Thanks!
Thanks so much for your response and feedback, Abhishek! I'll start accounting for bounced emails as well. 
Hi Ben,

We use the same calculation in our Copilot and advanced outreach analytics.

Thanks

Abhishek S