Question

Continue rule chain execution after rule failure

• 2 January 2017
  • 2 replies

Would be great to have an option which allows for rule chain to continue executing after certain rule fails (partially or completely).

I understand that some rules have to be completely done in order for next rules to process properly, depending on the logic of course. But there are rules which are not critical and can fail while next rules can go on without any major problems.

Ideal scenario, at least for us, would be to have a setting on rule level which can mark specific rule as critical or not, in terms of stopping the whole chain or not.

So in that case we can mark less critical rules as "not critical" and the rule chain would keep executing even if that rule fails.

Not sure if it's a good idea to add the same setting on rule chain level, or just keep it solely on rule level.

2 replies

Badge
Alen -- I think as long as you don't make the 2nd rule a child of the first rule, then execution continues. 

1 - Rule 1

1.1 Dependent on Rule 1 success

2 - Rule 2 -- independent of Rule 1 success

2.1 Dependent on Rule 2 success

When rule 1 fails, rule 1.1 won't execute, but rule 2 will. You'll get notice of the failure and the rule chain is a "partial success."

(I know all this because I have this rule that fails most weeks because it times out and I can't seem to get the performance to improve, but the rest of the rules run fine! :-)

Hope this helps!
Oh this explains it! It's working exactly as you said. I didn't realize this chain logic before.

Thank you Jeffrey.