[Feature Request]Increase Functionality for Setting & Clearing Multi-select Picklist

Related products: None

Once upon a time a there was a community concerning writing into Mutli-Select Picklist 2 years ago and its still in progress.

https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/writing-to-multi-select-picklist-in-rules-engine-ta...

There are quite a few customers that have talked about using the multi-select picklist, but was stopped short by it's limited behavior. It gets treated like a single value picklist when any rules attempt to set it.

Also, you are unable to clear or append to it properly.

A use case here, a customer has multiple line items of enabled products, I would like to set the Multi Picklist to say that this customer has these products enabled. Also once one product goes inactive I would like to refresh it with current multi select values. Rules doesn't handle this use case really well with current multi-picklist functionality.

Sure you can use checkboxes, but it gets really messy and not in a neat package. Also Customer tags can't be deleted once added via rules.
Less interesting fact - The behavior of append and remove few items from the list, remove all the items within a single field requires a full revamp of our field mapper. I understand that this is crucial for utilizing the multi-select effectively. 

With our addition of the MDA multi-select dropdown, we should be taking up with higher priority. Thanks for bringing this up.
Hmm, Maybe we can stick with a custom mapping only for now where we can reset the entire picklist and one to set one. The source mapping to multi picklist prob won't be needed as the filter criteria can improvise. With this suggestion, we don't need to revamp the mapper, just the custom mapping ability for multi select picklist where I can check a box to append or to reset the entire list.
Currently this is causing a very big problem to us. We want to create a rule to only add a tag to some customers, but we can't do that - once if we map a rule to update a field with a tag, it erases all the tags that were added before.

For us, this is an urgent interface/UX issue. We noticed that after months of operation and actually we don't know how big is the impact to us. A lot of organizations may be affected by this issue and did not notice that.

The multi-select picklist fileds at the rule setup should have a functionality to select if the rule should:

1) reset the field and then select some values;

2) maintain the previously selected values and add a new value.
We have this same use case.  Luckily, the tag it replaced was only for a few accounts, so it wasn't too big a pain to add it back manually, but as we look to use Tags for more items, this is going to be a significant problem for us.
I have a customer that is requesting something very similar trying to update multiselect in a rule, do we have anything on this front?

Also it looks like the post linked to Kevin's entry is gone.

Being able to assign in the rules engine multi-select fields in Gainsight is definitely a feature we could use at my org. We have many products and are currently using flags (boolean fields) that mark if they "have" said product. I was trying to create 1 field with a multi-select dropdown to list off the products a customer could have. This would help in things like journey orchestrator, programs, and honestly it would be a great help in global filters for dashboards. I realized there is no way for me to assign that field because the assignments keep getting overwritten. If we can add mulit-select fields in GS, it would be great to then be able to assign them. Any update to when or if this will be a possibility? Thanks!

I was actually able to work around this and successfully set multiple tags with the rules engine. It’s possible with bionic rules so long as you can build up to a single data set that will allow you to set all the tags at once.

The multi-select tag field is basically a semicolon-delimited string. So I created a data set with the account ID, and then a boolean for each tag. Then I did a transform task and used the case statement. If the boolean is true I set the string output to “TAG STRING” followed by the semicolon. If it was false (because you have to put something in the field) I just put the semicolon. In my task I had 3 case statements.

Then I did another transform task and used the Concat function to just put them all together. So I have a string that says “Tag A;Tag B;Tag C;” or “Tag A;;TagC” or even “;;TagC;”. Update Customer under actions and use that string to set the Tag field. Salesforce just ignores the extra semicolons.

Are there any updates on this front (besides multi step workarounds in Rules Engine)? This would be much needed in my org! 

@Cornelia linking to this one too 

as the idea apparently is 6 years old???

@Cornelia Any updates please?

any updates?